Single Mom Education

Updated on September 16, 2009
A.A. asks from Falls Church, VA
7 answers

Does anyone know anything about the state helping out single moms to go back to school to get their degree?

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Washington DC on

If yu re in dc they have the DC Leap, DC Scholarship, go to and look under paying for education, make sure you fill out your FAFSA you can get a pell gran.

In Prince Georg's County you can also do the FAFSA but thedelegtes aswell as the senators have scholarships for students.

Hope this helps GOOD LUCK IN SCHOOL



answers from Washington DC on

I got my degree in Therapeutic Massage using only grants. I did not pay for anything out of my pocket, and if there was any left over after the drop time, they mailed me a check for remaining balance. Grants are great, they are not loans and you don't have to repay them. Check with the financial aid department at the school that you are thinking of attending. I got that degree from AACC.



answers from Washington DC on

Hi, A. - There is lots of aid available; I'm not sure how much is through the state. You can do scholarship searches, specific to single moms. You may also want to contact Catonsville Community College - BCCC - Catonsville Campus, or whatever they are calling it these days! I know they have scholarships to help women returning to school. Your local delegates, as well as your state senator may have money to offer, too. Good luck!


answers from Washington DC on

Dear A.,
my friend Chrissy is a single mom of two and was going back to school at NOVA. She did recieve vouchers and also did things like food dtamp card(its like a debit card). The number she gave me is for the Fairfax Government Center in FFX ###-###-####. She also said its a few years old(the numer) but maybe they could point you in the right direction.
Good Luck



answers from Washington DC on

Before you do anything you must visit the financial aid office of the school you wish to attend. Schools have many scholarships that are "in-house". For instance, as a single mom I received a generous $3000/yr to attend Towson. It was the Charlotte Newcomb Scholarship and it is given to women looking to change careers or enter the workforce, etc. Another one for women was Orville Redebocker, the popcorn guy, who gave scholarships to women over 25. All schools will ask you to fill out a FAFSA- Federal Student Loan Application, which is done in January or February, after you have filed your taxes. From this form most federal and state monies are offered.



answers from Washington DC on

Student aid is based on need. If you have dependent children and a lower income, you have a higher priority for aid. Before applying for any aid, no matter what college, you need to fill out the FAFSA form,

Even for state based aid, colleges use this information to determine your need. It is based on the income from your last year's tax return.

The financial aid office at your college can tell you what is available at your school. Filling out the FAFSA form in advance helps them.

Good luck, my son is in the process of changing careers, he's been unemployed since March. So he's just done all this looking for aid, and he wound up using a student loan for the first semester, then hoping for a Pell grant for the future, because he was employed last tax year.



answers from Richmond on

well, depends.. have you applied for any student loans
or grants at your local collage, have you considered an
trade school or something of that nature, if you look for a career where nobody else is looking, then you have a better chance at naming your salary, rather than then having it dictated to you. there are plenty of recession proof jobs out there, they may not be glamorious but, if it pays the bills,thats what matters.with mortuary science, you can pretty much name what you want to make, nurses, working with the elderly and injured combat veterans can also pretty much say how much they want to make. dont wait for someone to knock on your door, because chances are good it wont happen
K. H.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions