Sorry you scorched the chocolate and have to throw it out. Chocolate is very delicate and you have to use indirect, low heat to melt it. The temperature of melted chocolate should be lower than body temp - 80-90 degrees, 110 at most. You can easily melt chocolate in a saucepan or bowl that is set on top of another pan with a small bit of water in the bottom (not enough to touch the bottom of the bowl the chocolate is in). Simmer the water, pull it off the heat source and stir constantly until the chocolate melts. Alternatively, if you have a microwave you can melt it in the microwave on 50% power in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until it's melted. It will take under 3 minutes total in the microwave.
If you were trying to melt them on the pretzels, a minute or two might have done the trick. That said, kisses and chocolate chips have a wax on them that's designed to make them not melt easily and hold their shape so candy wafers or chocolate bars like Ghiradelli or bark are better for this. I know you gave up for the night but in case you ever try again, I hope this helps!