Do not refreeze! It is down-right dangerous health-wise. Go to your local university's extension service and I'm certain you'll find the govt' health guidelines concerning food storage, canning and freezing etc.
If you want to stretch meals, the safer thing to do is take a portion of the food right after you finish cooking it either on the stove top or from the oven, and put it in freezer safe dishes while hot, then freeze immediately.
Doing otherwise, you run the risk of introducing bacteria to the food, and freezing it. Consider this; once a meal is served, people breath on their plates, drop food from their fork, and half eaten morsels from their mouth back into the plate thus introducing saliva and the bacteria in it onto their plate. If someone had eaten some of the food from a fork or spoon and used it to stir, cut, or reposition food, they'd have been putting a utinsil with their saliva on it into the food during the meal. The minute food cools off to a certain temperature, regardless if someone slobbered on it or not, bacteria begins to grow. With any of these scenarios, you have thus contaminated the dish. Heaven help you if anyone was carrying a virus for the flu or some other illness...whether they had full blown symptoms or not, you'd be a risk of getting sick too.
Furthermore, very few people know that frozen bacteria can be more virulent than it was before it was frozen when you reheat it. The risk for serious food poisoning is high.
The place where I used to work had a Christmas dinner for employees who had to work the holiday shift. They catered in gourmet hams, goose, duck and roast beef. A buffet was set up and left for people to graze for the afternoon. After several hands had picked through the food, and hours of sitting out on the buffet table, a co-worker asked if anyone minded if he take the remaining ham home. I remember thinking this guy was "crazy" but didn't say anything, and forgot about it until two months later.
No joke, the guy came up to me asking for permission to leave work early because he was too sick to stick around. He kept running back and forth to the bathroom. I asked him what he thought he had, and he mentioned that he had frozen a ham he got during Christmas and defrosted it last night for dinner. I instantly remembered him asking to bring the one from the x-mas party home, and asked him if it was the ham from our company's Christmas buffet. Shocked that I rememberd, he said "yes" and that he wished he hadn't. He went home after that, but eventually wound up going to the ER for dehydration and complications from his "food poisoning" experience.
All I can say is don't do it! Too risky!