Need Program to Help with Electric Bill

Updated on November 07, 2007
K.H. asks from Keller, TX
5 answers

okay so this is really hard for me to put out there but here's my situation. we moved here less than a year ago bc i had lost my job due to having to take my son to dr. appts all the time. (he had a t.b.i. at 6 months) so we moved down here with my parents to try & start over. my husband works but we still struggle. we are waiting approval for my son to receive disability ( i have even talked to a person on the phone & she says he will be approved but it is still being processed) so things are looking to get better but not in time for us.
our electric was turned off bc my check from last month was returned, so now we have to pay that plus this month plus an extra dep. which adds up to like $800. we live in keller so we have no other option except tri-county. we are staying with my parents until we figure something out but tensions are high. we are just trying to pay our mortgage & not lose our house, but we need help to pay the electric & get it back on. are there any programs for low-income families. or any programs that help families that have a special needs child. (my son has very severe anoxic brain injuries)
if you know of any programs please let me know. i fear that this stress right now, after all that we have been through might just be the straw that broke the camels back.

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

thanks for all your responses! it was a rough week but finally my son's disability check arrived, & so everything worked out. thanks for your thoughts & prayers!

More Answers



answers from Dallas on

Check with your local United Way. You should be able to call 211 from any landline phone and get connected to them. You can also contact your local Dept of Human Services through 211 and they could give you a few resources to help as well.

I am not sure what "tri-county" is but I have a few resources for Tarrant Co.

There is a hotline for Aged or Disabled Services. 877-236-6500

Also, I have listed Mission Arlington ###-###-####. I'm not sure if they help with utilities or not though.

One thing you could do is go to your local hospital's ER and ask for a list of local resources or a Resource Information Packet. Most hospitals have these on hand for discharging ER patients that have no insurance or are low income families.

Hope this helps!



answers from Dallas on

I'm very sorry you're going through all of this right now. I can't imagine that there are not more organizations out there you can turn to since you are low income and you have a special needs child, but unfortunately, I don't personally know of any. Well, I do know of one. There is a charitable organization called Modest Needs that might be able to help you.

"Founded in 2002, Modest Needs is an award-winning charity that works to stop the cycle of poverty before it starts for low-income workers struggling to afford emergency expenses like those we've all encountered before: the unexpected auto repair, the unanticipated trip to the doctor, the unusually large winter heating bill."

Here is a link to the website: On this website, there is a link to apply for short term financial help. Here is what it says next to the link: "If you're facing a short-term financial crisis but don't qualify for conventional types of assistance, we want to help. You can complete our short application online in just about ten minutes."

If you need $800 to get your electricity turned back on, maybe these people can help you.

I referred another mom to this organization when she and her family were having some financial trouble and she wrote me a note to let me know they had approved her application and she just needed to get them some final documentation to get her put on their list for giving.

I hope it works for you as well.

Good luck and God Bless!



answers from Dallas on

I know that some may balk at this but have you tried the Salvation Army-I know that they help with these types of situations. They are usually especially helpful when it's one-time situations like yours. HTH and God bless you and your family.


answers from Dallas on

Wow, I'm so sorry for your families' struggle and for your poor little baby!

I knmow several years ago, when my father had severe health problems, SOME of the companies were willing to work a payment plan out with us, we had to beg and provide documentation of his illness I think.

Also, check out It can get you through the financial hump where groceries are concerned. We used it last month and it was so nice.


answers from Dallas on

Call your electric company and ask for the contact information for assistance with paying the bill...

Definitely call NEED first... they help one time per year with your electric bill.. have all your paperwork ready and you can visit them the same day... you will need a most recent checkstub for income verification, and the electric bill... they will pledge an amount to get you caught up and they get to write it off at the end of the year, so it helps for sure!!!!

Bless your heart! :)

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions

Related Searches