5 Year Old with Underarm Odor

Hi
Wondering if anyone has dealt with "premature puberty" in a child. I haven't got the official diagnosis yet but I am wondering if that's what is going on.

should a 5 yr old have underarm odor???

Thanks

THANKS for all the advice.....I did switch to Organic milk and have watched her dairy consumption. I did take her to the doctor just to see and things are OK and normal, thankfully. At this point no further diagnostics. The underarm odor has not been a problem since. I also make sure she is nice and dry under her arms and privates after a shower/bath.
Thanks again

My son has been wearing deodardant since first grade because of the same thing. The poor little guy's pits smelled like an old man! The doc said it's not unusual.

During the winter months with the long sleaves and such doesn't give much time for the underarms to air out. Make sure to dry well after baths and showers, especially under the arms and around his private areas. They too will start stinking if it isn't dried well. Try some baby powder in those areas to help keep the moisture down. Let him run around with out a shirt after his bath for a bit.

A warning about antipersprant and deodorant, my daughter in law's mother had breast cancer and one of the warnings they gave her is some ingredient in antipersprant and deodorant, which I can't remember the name of, which can be linked to breast cancer. For that reason alone I would try other ways to solve the problem rather then putting an adult product on a child.

My niece had early puberty based on a pituitary problem, this is very important to have checked out! It can cause major problems with fertility and growth if there is a hormone problem. In the meantime, try no soy or dairy products, sometimes the hormones in those can fool the body.

But please see an endocrinologist to rule out a thyroid/pituitary problem! I don't think it's normal at all, and hope all previous posters will go get their children checked as well. One visit and test doesn't hurt, but gone undone can hurt many things in the future, better to start correcting any problems now!

Have you checked out crystal deodorant? Its all natural, so it will probably be gentler on her. I used it on my son's stinky feet too when he was littler!

Some kids just start getting musty sooner than others. Let him start using deodorant. Tussy deodorant is mild and a good one to start with.

You've received great advice - different kids, different smells! Tom's makes an all natural deodorant that works well and is safer

i saw a program on tv the other day (mystery diagnosis) that this woman, all her life had really bad underarm odor no matter what she did. she even had her underarm glands removed and it still continued. they figured out she had some condition where if she ate certain foods, they didn't break down properly or something like that, and her body, in an attempt to get rid of the stuff, pushed it out of her pores and glands, giving off this odor. i don't remember what its called, but i'll see if i can find it for you. not sure if it's this condition or just something else, but you could always ask your doctor about it.

Probably just wash under his arms with soap and water. Some kids get more sweaty than others. No problem.

1 / 3