Body Odor at 8 Years Old??!!

Help! My daughter is 8 1/2 and her one armpit has started smelling with definite BO.

I didn't hit puberty until late, 13-14. Is it possible she has begun or can you have stinky pits without the rest of development happening for years?

Obviously we are washing with soap everyday now. She started showering by herself 6 months ago so she may have been missing spots I didn't realize.

I don't know if we should start on deodorant, it seems way too soon. She hasn't started developing in other ways but with me it all happened together so I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer I am the oldest and all my friends kids are younger so this is new territory for me.

Thank you to everyone, we got her deodorant that is aluminum and paraben free. I just had this thought that puberty had begun and appreciate all the comments!

Everyone develops at different rates. My step-daughter developed the need for deordorant anti-perspirant at the same age. I think it is completely appropriate for her to use it. This doesn't have anything to do with age. This is a hormonal change. Some of my friends didn't begin their periods and develop breasts until late middle school. The girls in my family received their menstration around age 11. I wore a size C cup at 11 years old. I was an average size child and considered thin. Everyone is different.

Both of my children started using deodorant at 8 years old. They didn't have any other early signs of puberty (they are 12 and 16 now). I buy them unscented deodorant.

More than likely she just doesn't wash as well as you washed her. My daughter is six and since I went back to work recently has begun bathing herself on the nights that I don't get home before bathtime since my husband isn't comfortable bathing her. If I work two or three nights in a row I can definitely smell the difference. I would suggest getting her some scented body wash and a pouf of her own since she's more likely to actually wash all her parts with the pouf and smelly good stuff.
If it is early puberty, which has been known to happen to some kids due to either genetics or environmental factors, you should also be noticing other signs such as breast development and the beginnings of patchy body hair. I wouldn't start with deodorant until she has underarm hair in any case.
If more attention to detail with washing doesn't solve the problem I would make an appointment with her pediatrician to have her hormone levels and things checked out, it might be a sign of some kind of chemical imbalance.

I had stinky pitts at 8 and started wearing deorderant. She needs to wear deorderant. I'm at work and took a survey to see how old everyone was and the range was from 6 to 10 so she's right on. You were late fortunately. :) You don't want her to be embarrassed or teased for having stinky pitts so deorderant is in order. Your little girl is growing up.

It is time for anti-perspirants or deordorants. My daughter was in bras by the middle of third grade. Had the odor problem for 5 months before she began getting her arm pit hair. My cousin's daughter had the odor problem for a year before she started other signs of developement and my 11 year old grandson started using deordorant a year and a half ago and just started getting arm pit hair about two months ago.
Natural course of aging.

My daughters had to start using deodorant at 9-- that shocked me.... I was surprised. (makes you feel old, doesn't it? -- to have a child on deodorant-- Just wait till your son starts shaving!)

Not that anyone knows for sure if she's starting puberty, but I will share my experience. But first I would like to tell you that in my humble opinion you should wait on the deodarant. If you really feel the need to do something, use deodarant WITHOUT anti-perspirent. Healthy bodies need to sweat.
My daughter is now 6 1/2. When she was an early 5 I noticed her armpits had body odor while she was on my lap. I thought how odd?? I took note of it and within 4 weeks or so of noticing that I noticed her aeriola's (more her right one) were puffy. An all so familiar sight when I was in the 5th grade. Something I couldn't get over either was the type of moodiness she had- like a pre-teen. I took her to our regular doctor and he didn't seem alarmed but by my persistance we got her into an endocrinologist for a series of tests. Sure enough my 5 year old had started puberty. We as parents decided that Olivia would not take the Lupron injections every 28 days, but rather we would research how to help her naturally. This was not an easy choice. Olivia is otherwise a healthy non-overweight child who grew faster that the rest, lost her teeth before the rest, and started getting B.O. and boobies before the rest. So my point is, my first indicator that she started puberty was the B.O. She still has that, but she does not wear anything for it. She'll have a LONG road ahead of her for that. I also homeschool her so she doesn't have that pere pressure to wear it. We had the breast growth under control fo about a year, and then we became lax on the suppliments she takes from the holistic doctor during a period of low finances- as- our insurance doesn't cover it. She then started breast growth again, so we started being consistant again and we'll see what happens. Watch anything that has hormones added (regular milk the cows have injections of hormones) certain beef etc. You'll hear contradicting evidence, but if it is puberty you'll take many measures within your means to help control it. My advice to you : No deodarant, watch for any other indicators such as puffy aeriola's or armpit/pubic hair, and moodiness more associated with pre-teens and if you notice any of these make a doctor's appointment to verify if she has started puberty. And if you feel it's too young, take the necessary steps to help her out. And my BIGGEST advice is to go with mommy instincts and be persistent. Despite what some may think, you know your babies and you know them best. Good luck.

I would definitely get her a natural deodorant and have her use it daily.

Both of my children started using deodorant by 7 or 8 years old. I buy the natural deo without aluminum products in it since it is suspected that they are bad for us. It is sometimes a trial to get them to remember it, but it is better than them being made fun of for smelling bad. If you are concerned, call your doctor, but I think I did and was told it was not an abnormal thing (sorry, it has been a while and I can't remember exactly what was said, but it comes down to it being within the parameters of normal).

1 / 3