What Age Should Sitting on Laps Stop?

My husband and I are just curious at what age is it not appropriate for a daughter to sit on her daddy's lap? Our almost 9-year old wants to sit on Daddy's lap in public and we both think that she's too old. At home we encourage her to sit next to daddy. Plus she's getting too heavy.

I think that it's okay in public still for a little while, but at what age will eyebrows be raised??

My 11 yo still lays in my arms. HAHAHAHAHA Actually he sits on my lap and I scrunch him all up and tell him he'll always be my little baby. We're big into snuggling. I have no problem with older kids being affectionate with their parents, including lap sitting. I think it shows a good relationship.

I did tell my 11 yo that it was inappropriate to have pillow fights and wrestle with his 17 yo female babysitter.

I think you're being WAY to over analytical about this. She's still his little girl and she obviously loves her daddy!
Why not let her stop when SHE feels uncomfortable? The last thing I would ever do to my children is tell them "You can't sit on daddy's lap anymore because maybe a stranger will think it's weird". That in itself is weird.
My young children will be raised with openness and love, and showing affection in public or in our own home is something to be celebrated, not embarrassed by.

My hope is that my son will still sit on my lap (or at least the arm of my chair) well into adulthood. All the mom's I know who have killer relationships with their boys, they will come and at least perch on their chair with them... pull them out on the field or court and throw their arms around them... come up and rub their shoulders... give them a kiss on their way out the door with their friends. This is the kind of open and caring relationship I hope to have with my son. One with no embarrassment. I can only cross my fingers.

I was 6 feet tall by the time I was 14... so I couldn't still sit on my dad's lap, but I'd throw a leg over or he'd throw an arm over or I'd lie down with him on the couch. Nothing sexual about it (eeeew). So if there's nothing sexual about it... why create artificial distance? I've guess I've just never understood the concept of pushing your kids away.

I don't think that it's a problem at home. I still sit on my dad's lap sometimes and I'm 18! Of course with me it's more of a 'daddy can I...' kinda thing. Lol ;)

I don't really know when it would become inappropriate in public. Whenever she becomes uncomfortable with it, I assume.

How weird, I guess I never really thought about it. I don't think shes needs to stop. I would never tell my girls they can't sit on thier daddy's lap.

Eh. Teens sit on their boyfriends' laps. I think lap sitting should stop by the age of, oh maybe 97. By then the bones are so brittle it might be a health hazard. I think your kid's fine. Just follow your gut and if YOU don't like it, stop it, but otherwise don't worry about it.

Honestly and as much as I hate to say it, but I think now is probably well past the time that she should be sitting on his lap...at least in public. Sadly, I say this because we live in a society where everything is scrutinized and everyone is on guard about that "one" incident, "one" situation, one "bad" man. For both of your sakes, I think it should probably stop.

This being said, I wish things were different. Maybe allow for it at home. I mean, what a wonderful thing to have a close relationship between your hubby and his daughter. Maybe, just maybe, because of it, she will grow up feeling more secure with herself and more loved and want make bad decisions because Daddy didn't give her the attention that she needed. Then again, there are always other ways but I say, if you are home, and she wants to do it...then let her be a Daddy's girl for as long as she can.

N.

I think you should stop when it no longer feels good for you, or she hits puberty. :)

I had a girlfriend in college who still sat on her dad's lap. So I guess not everyone feels like I do.

1 / 3