Constipation Issue for My 6 Year Old

Hi MOMS
My daughter is 6 year old . She is having constipation problem for the last one year .She however doesnt complain of stomach ache.
sometimes she doesnt go to toilet for a week and I get worried. However her intake is not bad , her stomach also is not very hard to touch.
I have taken her to many paediatricians and all they told me was she is ok. she doesnt have any problems.

One of them recomendded miralax..She drank this for few days . I didnt really see any benefit out f it .
I tried suppositaries for sometime , they work almost imemdiatly but my daughetr doent let me put them in her .

Please advise .

Thank you all for your immediate response.I am little relieved now. I shall try and get back to you all in a few weeks.
Thank you :)

If she doesn't have discomfort and her movements aren't hard enough to cause her to strain she is fine. it is not uncommon for people to only go once a week. As a twice a day person I can't imagine but I know some peolple who fit into that category. Don't interfere with her system if that is just her body's normal schedule, it can cause her problems.

When my daughter has that problem i give her some fiber one cereal.. (Carmeal delight) or fiber one bar they are very good. And she goes right away.

People have different regularities. Some have a BM everyday. Some have one every other day. What is normal for one is not for another. If the doctor thinks she is ok, I wouldn't worry about it. Also does your daughter drink several cups of water or juice in the day? Most people have constipation because they don't drink enough. AF

What about your daughter's diet? Is she getting enough fiber and drinking plenty of fluids especially water? That is the best and most natural way to take care of constipation. You should also make sure she avoids foods that can cause constipation like bananas. Not going for a week at a time seems like its too long especially once children are a little older. Waiting that long basically causes the intestines to absorb all of the liquid from her stool and making it even harder... She should try to go at a regular time every 1-2 days.

I have also heard that Castor Oil can work. I am not quite sure about the dosage for a 6 year old so you may have to check on that....my guess would be one tablespoon.

my daughter had the same problem..... try kayo syrup in her milk... or some mineral oil you can give to off a tea spoon or you put it in her juice...... they both worked for my daughter and myself.

Hi there.

I feel your pain! I dealt with a child who was chronically constipated for 2 years. First, not to contradict what your doctor is saying but it is NOT normal not to go for a week... not normal for anyone. Here are some things Ive tried (and in combination its worked):

1 - schedule a poop time. My son needs to be directed to the toilet daily...otherwise he is too distracted and doesnt go. When a child doesnt go for a day it becomes compacted. So put her on the toilet with a nice book and have her sit quietly for 5 minutes (no pressure to poop...just sit).

2 - Have her eat mostly high fiber foods (strawberries, oatmeal, flax seeds- I hide that in other foods like oatmeal - beans). My son doesnt even eat white pasta or bread b/c of his tendancy towards constipation.

3 - have her take water breaks and drink at least half a glass before and after school (if she's going to school).

4 - make sure she's exercising for at least 30 minutes a day.

I hope these suggestions work for you. They did wonders for us. Also know that suppositories are not good. They are ok if you use them once every few years but any more usuage is not good for the body.

My DSS had the same problem; his grandma tried extra fiber, apple juice, etc and nothing helped, so when I took over, I switched him to soy milk instead of regular milk and he has been fine since. Then I read something online that said sometimes cow's milk can cause constipation if they have a lactose issue....so I was pretty sure that was the issue...also I limited junk food, sugars, etc...I think a combination of fiber, soy, and low sugar would help most people.

Hi..My daughter who is almost 5 now has the same issue. She started constipating when she turned 3. She wouldn't go for a week and when she would go, she would be in terrible pain. I changed her diet ( more fibre etc..) and when it didn't get any better, I took her to the Pediatrician. He recommended Pedialax (strips) for a few weeks and then Miralax (1/2 of the dose twice a day). She gradually started getting regular...he said it takes atleast 6 months upto a year for them to get regular. I am trying to wean her off of it and give it to her just once a day. Its working!! Hope this helps.

I concur with the plenty of water and fiber in her diet. I would also suggest ground flax seeds. Buy them, and grind them in a coffee grinder or something similar. You can add them to hot or cold cereal or salads. I'd suggest limiting sodas. They can be constipating, and limiting any processed foods,that includes crackers and also white bread.
Goji berries are other thing that really makes a difference. Just a couple of tbsps a day. They are pleasant to eat.
The exercise also plays a big role.
Stay away from the laxatives if you can.
L. M

1 / 3