2 Year Old Constipated -- What Can I Give Her to Help?

What can I safely give my 2 year old to help ease her constipation? I'm looking for over the counter medicines, as well as general food/eating/drinking things that may help. Thanks!

I mix 1 tsp of ground FLAX SEED with my son's yougart everymoring. It tastes good and there's nothing like in keeping a child regular. It also had a lot of added nutirtional benefits. you can also easily mix it with pancakes/muffins etc..

Well I just found out that Fiber One Muffins seem to make my 2 year old and my husband (HEHEHE) poop. Neither one of them have problems with constipation but my husband could tell a big difference in himself just after one or two muffins and I could tell a BIG difference in my almost 2 year old after he hate one. They are really good and easy to make.

I like this since I can alwalys remember: My doctor says P is for poop. pears, prunes, peaches, peas

Constipation is a classic sign of trouble in the digestive system. The first recommendation I would make is increase her water. Take her body weight in pounds, divide it in half, have her drink that many ounces of water as a MINIMUM every day. (Example, if she weights 30 pounds she should drink no less than 15 ounces of water every day.)

Get some cod liver oil and give her the recommended dose each day. Most children will take it right off the spoon if you don't make a fuss about it. The best brands are Nordic Naturals and Carlsons. Don't buy the cheap stuff---it can be toxic.

Make all her snacks fruit---fresh, unprocessed, whole fruit. Don't let her eat crackers or other processed foods. They are classic constipators. Fruit is the most easily digested when it is eaten alone.

Give her very healthy meals---meat and lots of vegetables. Any grains should be WHOLE and unprocessed.

Also try giving her yogurt each day. Not the sugared stuff, but plain whole fat yogurt. You can add berries and a wonderful sweetener called stevia. You can buy stevia at Sprouts, Whole Foods or Central Market.

If you do all these things, I bet she'll be fine. If not, feel free to message me privately.

Hi H.,
I skimmed through all the responses and didn't see this:
castor oil rubbed on the stomach in a clockwise direction. (They don't have to drink it!) It helps relive the cramping that sometimes goes with constipation. Once the cramping subsides, passing the stool is a bit easier. If you have any essential oils handy (lavender is especially nice and calming), you can put a drop of that in your hand, then the castor oil, then warm it up just by rubbing your hands together and apply.
It is sticky, so get her in a yucky T-shirt first.

Also, please do not give her Karo syrup. High Fructose Corn Syrup is linked to so many diseases and causes severe health problems. One man even wrote an entire book on how bad it is. Best not to give her the taste for it.

Peace,

My second child had some trouble with constipation while she was 2 just earlier this year due to too much dairy intake and not enough vegetable/fruit matter and fiber.

I realize everyone else seems to be advocating diet change but it's easier said than done for a 2 year old especially if they are NOT used to eating that way. It can be gradual getting the child to eat as they need to. In my case, I needed something to relieve my child's symptoms NOW instead of later when diet was corrected.

I used Pedia-Lax. It's by Fleet and is simply Liquid Glycerin Suppositories. They are availible over the counter at CVS pharmacy, which is where I purchased the only box we needed.

Initially this was my absolute last resort. I did not want to go there but we do what we must when we must to help our little ones. Anyway I was surprised by how easy this was to do & how quickly there were results.

The box states " Works in minutes." "Provides gentle, safe relief." "Convenient, No-mess applicators." It is for ages 2 - 5 years old and states it on the box as well.

Results are stated to occur in 1/4 to 1 hour after being administered. My child went 2 minutes after I used one. Just two minutes and she'd been MISERABLE (as I imagine you can relate) for the previous 2 days. She did not feel bad when the need to go hit-it was simply the strong urge and was easy for her to go as well. It did not cause any cramping or flatulence or diahrrea. Just helped her to eliminate the immediate waste.

I HIGHLY recommend these. I was freaked out to try and use it but I followed the directions on the box and it was easy enough and worked JUST fine and I had no issues.

My husband and myself and our precious daughter were ALL relieved within 5 minutes of administering it. The misery was over for all of us and our daughter was able to get off the potty and resume normal activity as though the previous hours and two days before had never occured.

You just can't beat that for immediate relief!

I hope all goes well & am sure you'll do all you can to help her towards a more helpful diet. You're a smart mom and you know what your daughter needs regardless of what all advice you are given. Follow your instincts and remember that if you're ever in doubt-a quick call to the pediatrician never hurt anyone and even though such calls usually have a dollar amount attached to them now- your child is always worth it. :)

God's blessings on you & yours.

We've been having issues with our son - and our doctor had us start giving him a teaspoon of flax seed oil every day - it has really helped. I usually add it to his yogurt in the morning. It's made a big difference in keeping him regular and has all sorts of other benefits - I highly recommend it. I got our at Whole Foods - but saw some last night at Tom Thumb in the yogurt section. Good luck!

Hi H.,

Increasing her fruit and veggie intake will help with this. If that is a challenge, I market a product that you and your daughter may love as much as I do. They put 17 fresh, raw fruits, veggies and grains in a gummy treat. Call or email me for info:

###-###-####

1 / 3