Need to Unconstipate My Baby

my 6 and 1/2 month old just started eating baby food a month ago. he eats great and loves all the food we've tried. my problem is now he's constipated all the time. my pedia wasn't really concerned about it and told me just to give him some apple juice if it starts bothering him. he grunts a lot when he poops now and his poops are either one large pretty firm ball or occasionally it's one larger ball and several tiny balls. this last week i have given him more applesauce and even given him undiluted apple juice to drink but it hasn't helped. when he eats now instead of feeding him two containers of a fruit or veggie, i give him one of each to keep him balanced. i bought some apple/prune juice to try but i don't want to go too far and give him diarrhea. any ideas you ladies have would be appreciated. i just don't want my baby to have to struggle to poop. thanks in advance!

wow ladies! i received sooo many responses it was amazing! thank you all so much for the advice. i found most of it very helpful and learned some things i did not know. i have started the apple/prune juice and it really kick started his system. hes having good bms now so i am going to keep giving him the juice once a day for a while just to make sure he gets cleaned out. i will definitly lighten up on the applesauce and apple juice now that i know it can actually make my little guy more constipated. thanks again moms! dont know what id do without you all sometimes!!

We had the same problem with out now 20 month old. We tried prunes at first. Just give him a few spoonfuls each day until the jar is gone.

We also gave him about an ounce of prune juice mixed half with water when I noticed he was getting stopped up.

It may also be just his little system getting acclimated to a new type of food. Either way it's disheartening to have.

Not only in kids, apple is known to harden stools even for adults. I'd stick to the Ps- pear, prunes etc..

You can also try this. Mix 2 tsps of sugar in 2oz luke warm water and make him drink it after his meal. But just once a day, not more than that. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

A dab of dark Kayro syrup in the bottle or sippie cup usually does the trick. NOT the 'light' Kayro but the dark. Good luck!

I learned something VERY interesting last night at a potty training class... Epson salt can work wonders.. Put a bit in your baby's little bath and his body will soak up all the magnesium he is missing which in turn will unconstipate him... I was also told that it makes one sleep really well. IT is all natural and can't hurt at all.. good luck. J.

Try baby foods that start with "P", prunes, pears, pineapples, etc...

My pedi told us to put Karo syrup in the bottle/cup. The recommendation was a tbsp per 2 oz in 2 bottles a day. I started with 1 heaping tbsp per 4-6 ozs and that seemed to do the trick. You can start there and adjust up as/if needed. I used the dark syrup - I'm not sure if it matters.

Short and sweet:

www.fruitease.com

mix with some water, strain out all minute peices and give the liquid in a syringe/baby feeder. all natural. check it out. It has been a God send for my family.

I also have a six month old son and just went through what you are going through. I know from experience that applesauce, apple juice and bananas constipate babies. My ped recommended pears and pear juice as well as stage 1 Gerber prunes. They all worked great. Hope this helps!

When we started solids our doctor told us to give our baby apple juice (half diluted) every 24 hrs in a cup ( never in a bottle). I asked her if everyday was too much for such a small baby and she said it helps her to go regularly. So far so good.

I ran across this with my daughter who was breaastfed and never constipated until she started eating food. I tried everything even going as far as giving her applesauce and juice at the same time and finally her pedi said that although it is unusual she might be one of those children who apple's constipate. She told me to try white grape juice and I found that peaches really help too. She will be 5 soon and she still gets peaches in her lunch or grapes. I have to limit her apple juice and apple intake. Hope this helps!

1 / 3