Coffee Hour at Church

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I signed up and are solely responsible for the 8:30am coffee hour at our church this Sunday. We have a few ideas as to what to serve such as a cookies, cake, lunch meats, cheese and cracker, fruit. The actual coffee & juices are supplied. I would like to know if anyone has some simple recipes that are good for serving a crowd. There are approximately 75-100 people, including children who stay for coffee hour. I would need ideas that can be made Saturday night and not needed to be heated since we will be setting up Sunday morning before church starts and leaving after receiving communion (about 15 minutes before people arrive at coffee hour) to do the finishing touches. I plan to go shopping at Costco tomorrow.

Any and all ideas would be helpful! Thank you in advance!

MORE INFO: The people will not be eating until AFTER the service. The service ends at about 9:30am. According to past coffee hours I have seen, the cheese, crackers and lunch meat go before anything. I can't eat it that early, but I guess most people at my church do. Thanks again. I am getting some great ideas. Please keep them coming!

Mini muffins, cookie trays, bagels cut in half(also sliced) served with cream cheese, fruit slices, bananas cut in half with the peel still on I see frequently. Cheese and meats sound great but that seems expensive, I think if you pick one thing and have plenty of it along with some fruit it will be fine. Nobody expects a meal. I also think if you want to bake something like banana bread with some fruit would be yummy. You can even serve the loaves with a knife and let people cut a piece themselves.

What about mini muffins, or Costco muffins cut in 1/4's? Then lots of fresh fruit: sliced apples, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, orange slices, watermelon, cantaloupe...then cheese.

I have an easy crustless baked quiche that can be cut into little cubes....baked the day before, cooled, then cut. People ask for the recipe all the time no matter where I take it. PM if you want the recipe.

RE: Crustless Quiche

Crustless Quiche

10 EGGS
1/2 cButter melted
1/2 cFlour
1 tsBaking Powder
1/4 tsSalt
1 lbLarge-curd cottage cheese
2 cn(4-oz) diced green chiles
1 bunch finely chopped green onions/scallions
Black Pepper; freshly ground
1 lb Aged Chedar cheese; grated

Variation: It is super easy to substitute with other veggies. Since regions have their favorite flavors, I have used frozen, chopped spinach instead of the chiles. Both are a big hit. I have sauted thinly sliced zucchini or shredded zucchini when in season. This turns it into a garden style quiche. Sometimes I'll add ham or bacon, if it's leftover. I have even been known to add a block of soft tofu while mixing the eggs. No one ever knows nor can they tell. It's very pretty with thinly sliced tomatoes layered on top.

After you try this, you'll probably never go back to quiches with a high calorie crust.

Preparation

Whip the eggs in a large mixing bowl until fluffy. Whisk in the melted butter, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the cottage cheese, chiles, black pepper and half the cheddar. Pour the mixture in a greased 13x9 inch glass baking dish. Top with remaining cheese (optional: and thinly sliced tomatoes). Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the top is lightly browned. Allow to cool a bit and cut into squares.

Enjoy!!

I think what you have listed sounds great! I remember we used to have these at the church I went to growing up, but they only had donuts and coffee/juice. Honestly, unless people usually go all out, I would probably stick with cookies, cake, and fruit. It will still be pretty early in the morning, so most people won't expect lunchmeat and crackers. But if you do want to serve that, go for it. I think Costco probably makes some nice trays of meats, cheeses, and crackers, then make (or buy) a fruit salad, and have some donuts, or coffee cake, and a tray of cookies. Don't forget the plates and forks if the church doesn't supply those.

I saw this post and just had to answer. Our family is also doing coffee hour this Sunday, and it being Lent, I was totally freaked out! (We're Orthodox, and this is our first Lent - lots of fasting rules) I'm using recipes from both of these sites. Good luck, and I'll be thinking of you as I'm preparing my food!

http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/index.html
http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredible/Servesfiftyindex.html

I would buy a cookie tray, or a few, since that will save you time. Something more breakfasty and healthy, like oatmeal cookies, would also be a good option, especially with lots of kids. I like the fruit idea, too. If you have an apple corer/slicer, get a few bags of apples at Costco and you can cut them right at church. I miss those coffee hours! We don't really have them at my church. :)

Bars - you can make lemon bars or rice crispie bars or brownies and they can be cut bite-sized with a pizza cutter.

If you offer juice and coffee/tea, consider two juices and/or water. My daughter is allergic to apples and if there's no water (I usually bring a cup for her) she doesn't have much to drink. Make sure that if you have fruit like grapes you have some plastic knives for cutting them for kids.

How 'bout a large veggie and fruit platter with different dips?

(And what a nice idea your church has. Have fun with it!)

:)

I'm making a cake to take to church this weekend. I'm making a very dense chocolate cake with chocloate pudding and minichocolate chips mixed into a Devils food batter. Cooking it in a bundt pan. That way it can be cut into perfect serving sizes and does not need to be frosted since it's so rich anyway. I'm going to slice the cake and layer it around the plate domnio style and pile strawberries up in the middle. Doesn't have to be chocolate. You could do strawberry cake mix with white chocolate chips and vanilla pudding. Choco cake with mint chocolate or caramel chips. Lots of yummy possibilities.

1 / 3