Breakfast for 25 People

I have a family reunion next week and I'm in charge of making breakfast for 25 children and adult ages 2yo to 70yo. I need food & drink ideas that are easy to make. Also, I only have limited access to a refregirator/freezer because the reunion is at a cottage upnorth. We plan to leave on Saturday morning, but the breakfast that I'm in charge of is not until Monday morning. Please help!

Thank you all for your great ideas. I decided to do bagels, scramble eggs, sausages, hash brown, fruits, and orange juice. Thanks again for all your help! :)

When we go camping, we like to make "baggie omlettes". You get heavy duty (freezer) QUART SIZE ziplock baggies, crack 2 eggs into each baggie. Have a variety of omlette ingredients out in bowls (like diced ham, shredded cheese, chopped onions, chopped peppers, mushrooms, spinich....etc). Each person adds to their bag whatever ingredients he/she prefers. Get as much air out of the bag as possible, then have them mush the bags to break the yolks and mix the ingredients. Then you write each person's name with a permanent marker...put them into a pot of boiling water for 13 minutes, and they're done! They roll right out of the baggie onto a plate and they're delicious! Kids love it because they are involved in the process. If the pot is large enough, you could cook 10 baggies at a time. Good luck!

All of the egg dishes are great ideas. How about bagles and cream cheese to go along with it (healthier than donuts or danishes). You can also buy precooked bacon that does not need to be refrigerated. It only takes about a minute to cook in the microwave (if one is available).

You've received some great ideas...I just want to add an idea we used at a church brunch. We set up a separate area "just for kids" and had big bowls with mini boxes of cereal, fruit and grain bars, granola bars, bananas, and juice boxes. The kids loved being able to serve themselves and the parents loved not having to carry around an extra plate! It needs no refrigeration and you can transport it easily.
I love the idea of muffins and fruit that many of the ladies had. Have fun!

Ways to do eggs for storage... if you do eggs scrambled, you can crack them at home and put them in a container that seal well, (large orange juice container for ex-wash it well) and they will travel very well and store great. if you are making a frittata or soemthing like that, you can have the ingredients prepared ahead ( rip the bread, cut the veggies, cut the cheeses), then all you have to do is put it together the night before and let it sit overnight. I was on a camping trip and the lady did the eggs like this and made scrambles eggs. Just a thought.

You can get dry ice at Meijer and it will last in your cooler much longer. What if you pick up muffins from Costco or Coffee Cakes? THere are also great coffee cake recipes in Joy of Cooking. Bagels would not have to be kept frozen and you could bring cream cheese. It is easy to put together cheesy potatoes as well, if you can keep the ingredients cold in your cooler. Good luck!

I've made this breakfast casserole for large groups and it's always been a huge hit:
1 package of Jimmy Dean Sausage (in a roll)
10 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups of light cream (half and half)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
16 oz. of bread, broken into small pieces (yes, this is 16 slices of bread)
4 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese
4 oz. of shredded swiss cheese

Cook, crumble, and drain the sausage - set aside. Grease a 9x13 pan well. Place the bread pieces in the pan. Sprinkle the sausage and two cheeses over the bread. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Pour over the bread, sausage, and cheeses. Refrigerate overnight. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until golden brown.

But of course this only works if you have an oven... You can cook the sausage ahead of time and then transport it in tupperware along with the eggs and cheese, storing them in a cooler for the weekend. Then you would assemble the casseroles (this recipe makes one 9x13 casserole - you may need 2 or 3 total) the night before and bake them that morning... I make this casserole every time we have a work breakfast pot-luck and it's always the first item to go... It can be supplemented with muffins and/or bagels from Costco or Sams (like many others suggested).

Do you have the use of crock pots or an electric roaster?
My suggestion would be to make a ton of scrambled eggs and keep them warm in a crock pot. Just make a batch at a time till the crock is full. Eggs shouldn't go bad if kept in a cooler. If you don't have access to a stove you could bring an electric frypan.
You could also do the same with smoky links or other breakfast saugage, just cook/heat and put in crock to keep warm. The smoky links or sausage could be frozen and then put in a cooler.
Fresh fruit would be good. Just bring a big watermelon or two and cut up in wedges. Grapes, oranges, apples, or bananas would work too. If you needed to you could keep them in a cooler.
If you have a toaster available you could just put it out and have some different breads and maybe english muffins or bagels with some various toppings like butter, peanut butter, honey or jelly. You could let them make thier own as they want it.
You could also bring some yogurt, that would keep well in a cooler too.
Something sweet like muffins, danishes, or donuts. Just freeze the night before you leave and store in a cooler then set them out the morning of the breakfast.
For drinks I would do O.J., coffee, or water. I wouldn't risk milk. Hope this helps and have fun at you reunion!

Wow...

Breakfast casseroles are our standby dish when we need to feed a crowd, they are easy and a big hit with every age. Problem is, you'll need to refrigerate it until you have a chance to bake it. Will you even have access to an oven? Any chance you can buy the groceries Monday am or Sunday pm and store them in a cooler? What about assembling them ahead of time at home and keeping them on ice in coolers?

Just a few ideas off the top of my head...good luck!
~L.

1 / 3