9 Month Old Won't Roll Over, Crawl, or Put Any Weight on Feet

I watch a 9 month old boy who developmentally seems slow. He is 22 pounds and loves his food. Some poeple that I have talked to says that is why he is slow at doing things is because he is such a big baby. He won't put any pressure or weight of any kind on his legs, he won't roll over, and not crawling. His fine motor skills with his hands seem good. I have tried different exercises with him, putting toys out of reach, tons of one on one time with him trying different things and he just gets mad. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice? His parents have asked for my help to get him going on these activities and I don't know what else to try. I have tried putting him a Johnny JumpUp and exersaucer and he just lets his legs hang. Thanks everyone for the advice so far.

It may be something that a pediatrician needs to look at, but from experience it may be ok... My daughter is a big girl and was slow to develop as well... We put her in daycare at about nine months and she was not even sitting up really well... She would lose her balance and fall easily... She did not crawl and never pulled up on anything... She developed at her own pace according to her doc... Now she is almost two... She didnt start walking until about a month ago... Every child develops at their own stages... My boys walked before they were one years old... My daughter wasnt interested in that... She was perfectly content with what was in front of her... I hope this helped a little... Just keep working with him... You may try the stationary Gyms... They are like walkers that dont move... We moved my daughters low enough that she had to put her weight on her legs... It did help for her strength... I hope this helped a little bit... And good luck :)

Hi J.. I had a son with similar troubles. He was eventually diagnosed with Motor Apraxia. I would highly recommend having First Steps evaluate him. As it is not your son, it would be something that you would have to decide to bring up. But the sooner that he is evaluated the sooner they can determine if he really is delayed due to weight or other issues that are beyond anything that we can really control without assistance. Worst case, they tell him nothing is wrong, best case, the child gets the physical therapy that is needed. Good luck.

My 10-month old just started crawling forward yesterday, which her pediatrician was not worried about at her last check-up because she was still moving around, scooting, etc. She said the crawling isn't a real milestone as long as they're getting around. But the not rolling or putting any weight on his feet seems a bit more unusual. I think an evaluation would be a good idea.

My son is considered a big baby also. He was 9lbs 3oz at birth and almost 24lbs by 9 months. I was told when he was born that large babies tend to hit milestones faster (such as sleeping through the night, sitting, crawling and walking). This turned out to be true for my son who began walking right at 10 months. The important word is "TEND". Babies do things in their own time. I have a friend whose daughter is 6 weeks younger than my son and also a 'big' baby and she didn't crawl till after 8 months and she doesn't pick herself up or show a real interest in walking yet. All babies are different and there is really quite a range for most milestones. As long as the parents communicate with their doctor and work with him (and it's great that you do too) then the doc with let them know when and if they should worry. Hope this helps.

People often do not consider the importance of taking babies to the chiropractor. My nephew had problems when he was trying to walk. The pediatrician prescribed corrective shoes, which only made the child hate shoes. So his mother took him to the chiropractor and discovered he needed a very gentle adjustment in his low back and hip. He started walking perfectly on his own within a day or two.

I work with a variety of special needs children. From your description, I would not necessarily assume a developmental delay is the cause. I would first consider it to be either a simple structural issue which chiropractors can commonly correct with relative ease. I would also look for a chiropractor or a natural practitioner who is a good nutritionist. There may be a dietary issue afoot.

Our chiropractor is wonderful with children and offers a 'Kids Come First' day on the first Saturday of each month. Kids all come at the same time for a wellness check up for about $10. They are weighed, measured, seen by the doc, and adjusted if needed. The whole place is like a big party for the kids and they all have a great time. This can prevent the development of many structural imbalances in children that can result in neuromuscular difficulties. Ask around for a chiropractor that is really good with children. There don't seem to be any that are purely prediatric practitioners, but some are definately better with children.

My son was slow at doing all of those things too, also because he was so big, its a lot harder to move 22lbs, than 14 lbs! He is now almost 3, thinned out, and definitely not delayed in anything he does! But I agree, I would have him evaluated by a pediatrician, just in case.

Because my son has/had some delays of his own, my first thought is a visit with the pediatrician. The pediatrician may want to have him evaluated by a physical therapist and at least make sure he and his family are on the right track. It can be easier when things are caught as early as possible.

My daughter is almost 9 months -old and she doesn't crawl either and she weights 22 lbs.(she is breastfed, so I don't worry about her weight to much). I tell everyone she's curvey! Her 3 year-old sister only weighs 30 lbs. She does seem to move around by rolling over. She doesn't seem to interested in the walking part but she will bare weight. I have a jumper that she just loves though. She will jump & jump. When she get excited she wants to jumper if your trying to get her to stand. Maybe he might enjoy one of those and that would help build up his leg muscles. I don't think my little one is going to crawl at all just roll. But she isn't developmentaly slow. She just isn't into it yet.

1 / 3