16 Year Old Daughter Pregnant

My 16 year old daughter is pregnant and lives with me. I make a decent income and know I would not qualify. Can she qualify for medicaid or will my income disqualify her? What should we do?

There's only one way to find out. If she's old enough to get pregnant and she's decided to have the baby then she's old enough to determine how to pay for it. Tell her to apply.

If she's your dependent, which she probably legally is, then she isn't likely to qualify. I have, um, a not-too-delicate question, which perhaps information you haven't given in your brief request would answer: If you make a decent income, why would you expect to have the public pay for services that many of us have to pay for out of pocket?

I'm socially liberal, and happily pay taxes to support the public good on my very small income, AND pay almost a third of what I earn for insurance with such a high deductible that I'll probably never see a penny of it returned for my medical care. But I take care of my own expenses, because I can.

I see medicaid as a program for those of us who have nowhere else to turn, and those numbers are snowballing over the past two years. I'd love to see universal health care, but so far, too many of my fellow citizens are disinclined to support that. So state and federal aid would best be saved for those in desperate need.

YES she will qualify, don't pay attention to the PP. You shouldn't be "expected" to pay for her pregnancy, the father should but that's not always the case and she still deserves to have decent prenatal care. The state will approve her because they want her to have a healthy baby. The only thing she won't qualify for living under your household will be the foodstamps program. But if she starts living with the baby's daddy then she will have to report his income and may not qualify if HE makes too much.

Go to this website and print off an application for assistance. http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/index.shtml

After she completes it, she can turn it into your local office and go from there. Your income shouldn't be an issue for her to receive medicaid and good luck to the both of you.

I haven't read through all of your responses yet, some sound quiet harsh, I'm sorry people can be so rude! anyhow (before I go off on a tangent about their rude behavior) You might want to contact Real Choices pregnancy center in Grapevine... they are against termination of pregnancy and will have a wealth of knowledge about resources for your daughter, they can help her find the care and support that she will need to get through all that she will be dealing with in the future.

I believe she would qualify for medicaid. When you are looking for pregnancy care, please consider a midwife attended birth either at home or at a birth center. I have seen the way young women are treated during birth at a hospital... it is not too pretty. There are also some midwives that work out of Harris Methodist in FW.

She deserves respect and care emotionally, mentally AND physically. If she wants to avoid major surgery (cesarean birth) she should see a midwife for her care provider.

Having a Doula will also be helpful for her to be prepared and supported during her birthing experience. Call Gina Phillips in Keller TX. If you go to the www.dona.org website you will be able to find her. Good luck.

K. Voigtsberger
www.wholeheartbirth.com
Certified birth doula(DONA)
Bradley Method® Educator
Breastfeeding Educator

I would hope that your daughter lives with you :) She is only 16. Have you looked into her and the baby staying on your health insurance? At least until she graduates high school? The government insurance for a baby is terrible! My sisters child (she was 18 when she had him) cannot go to a decent dr in a decent neighborhood. My pediatrician does not accept that type of insurance...nor do most.

WIC can help to pay for her food while she is pregnant... and also while she is breastfeeding. If she chooses to do formula they pay for that also. If you make a significant amount and she is living with you that may change things...

I was 18 when i got pregnant. I got my own apartment and worked my butt off. I have been with her dad (4 kids later) for almost 16 years. I would steer you in that direction....BUT your daughter is only 16. She is still in school and is going to need your help. I wish you all the best of luck.

Does she currently have health insurance? If so, she should continue with this insurance. If not, she would qualify for Medicaid (at least in IL).

Another important consideration is who will insure the baby once s/he is born? I would explore her eligibility for WIC (Women, Infant and Children) especially after the baby is born for nutritional assistance. If bottle feeding, formula is expensive. If breastfeeding, they can help with to keep her nutritional status optimal.

Lastly, find a teen pregnancy program for her to help guide her to the appropriate resources.

I got pregnant at 17 with my first child and lived with my parents. I didn't qualify for medicaid or my parent's insurance. It was a nightmare!! I had to fight with them tooth and nail to get them to cover me and wasn't able to get to the doctor until I was 7 months along. That was 10 years ago though, so hopefully the process has changed up a bit. I'm sorry that you and you daughter are having to go through this, but I can tell you first-hand that it can work! I was 18 when I delivered Julia and she is almost 10 now. I am now married (for 6 years) to a wonderful man and we have another beautiful daughter who is almost 3. I graduated high school when my first was 3 months old (early graduation) and went on to be a productive member of the society. :)

Natalie O. is correct. She can at least qualify for the baby, if not for herself. If she does qualify, Medicaid will pay for all her prenatal care and post partum care until 2 months after the baby is born. The baby will be eligible for Medicaid through his/her 1st birthday. After that, she can apply for CHIPS (children's health insurance.)
Also, as some of the other mother's mentioned, she should also apply for WIC. They will pay for certain groceries while your daughter is pregnant. After the baby is born, they will pay for formula or continue heling out with groceries if she is breastfeeding.
Good luck to both you and your daughter!!

1 / 3