Counseling for Husband? Male or Woman? Any Recommendations

Updated on May 12, 2008
M.C. asks from McKinney, TX
5 answers

My husband needs a therapist....We could definitely use a family counselor in the end, but he needs to speak with someone first to deal with his issues. He has issues with his mother mostly and doesn't perceive women very well.
My husband is a very proud "manly man" and I'm not sure if he would listen better to a male, but I don't want him to feel like he can't open up to someone either. It is such a difficult thing to do, I just want the experience to be as smooth as possible. If anyone has any previous experiences with these kind of issues, please share....

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Dallas on

A good counseling group is The Center for Christian Counseling. They have both male/female options. They even have a couple on staff that does marriage couseling. They have a location in Frisco.

Here is their info:

7011 Pecan St., Ste C Frisco, TX 75034

Good Luck!



answers from Dallas on

If you don't mind the drive, I highly recommend Dr. Paul Bowles in Dallas near 635 & Hillcrest. He was very good at dealing with my husband and with 3 other men that I sent to him. He has a way of putting them at ease; for example, assuring them that he works with high-level execs for Fortune 500 companies and his teachings can also help with their careers by improving management styles....he has really helped several men; his concept is behavior modification; he used to be a minister so his style is faith-based; he tries to keep marriages and families together...good luck.



answers from Dallas on

I would also recommend a male counselor. Dr. Guy Chandler is very good and can engage a man very well. He does marriage counseling as well. I don't have his number but it is very easy to find on the internet. Good Luck!



answers from Dallas on


I attend McKinney Fellowship Bible Church off Eldorado. Our Pastor of Care and Counseling, Mike Stewart, is wonderful. I highly recommend him as he offers one-on-one counseling and marital counseling.

Mike can be reached by phone at ###-###-#### or by email at [email protected] let him know that I referred you so he'll have a frame of reference. Feel free to contact me if you have any follow up questions.

Thank you,
A. Henderson



answers from Dallas on

I would say he definitely needs to talk with a male. If he doesn't perceive women well, then he certainly won't want to hear what she has to say. Generally, I think it should be man/man woman/woman ... depending of course on the situation.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions