Would You Leave a 16 Year Old Home Alone for 1 Week?

Would you leave a 16 year old home alone for 1 week?

I was left home alone for a week when I was 16... There is no way I would leave my teenage child home alone for a week ;)

Can you handle the consequences if something happens?

Updated

I moved out when I was 17 - so yeah, at 16 I could spend a week or two at home by myself without the world going under...
And no, I was not a teenage mother, and no, no parties and no I was not a drop-out or had sex either.
I would say it depends on the 16 year old and how responsible and reliable they are. Some may not be able to spend a day at home alone while other are perfectly fine by themselves for a week.

Depends upon the kid, but likely yes. When I was 16, I spent a week being in charge of a wildlife rehabilitation center in upstate NY. I had one 16 year old assistant. We were responsible for taking care of about 50 birds, raccoons, opossums, birds (raptors, waterfowl and songbirds) and squirrels. We kept them fed, watered and changed their bandages. We could have called a supervisor about an hour away if we needed assistance, but we did not. We learned a lot about responsibility and about ourselves. It was a truly valuable week to me. It was way before the days of cell phones. I started college 6 weeks after I turned 17. My parents never even considered this to be a problem. Many 16 year old are absolutely mature enough to handle the responsibility. They will be heading off to college soon - why not let them try out a little autonomy.

ETA - Are these 'h*ll no" responders the same parents who always advise the pregnant teens on this site to keep their babies?

My parents left me home at 16 for a week. They NEVER left my brother home by himself. We were two totally different kids!
I was very responsible, kind of a homebody, and a virgin....my brother? Not so much.
You know your kid best.
Laura

No. Absolutely not. I was super responsible and mature and was left home alone for a week when I was 16. As soon as my friends found out they started planning a big party at my house. I was just planning on having a few close friends over on one of the nights and I overheard them talking about all of the people they invited to my house and the keg that they were getting. I was so worried it made me sick to my stomach. I ended up pretending I was sick that night. I had so many people come knocking on my door it was ridiculous. I can't imagine what would have happened if I would have let them in and had the big party that my friends planned. There is no way in the world that I would trust a 16 year old home alone for that length of time. Even if your child is responsible, their friends may not be.

Actually,
I had to go on a business trip this past April for 4 nights, and yes, I left my 16 year old son home alone. Well, between school and sleeping at the neighbor's house, he was really only alone for about 4 hours per day.

It really depends on the maturity level of the teen. Mine happens to be a solid, level headed kid, who know what to do and when to do it. I checked in with him several times in the morning and throughout the evening, and my neighbor ensured he was maintaining his schedule and eating. Since, he is not so responsible about regularly feeding himself.

But, for you our dear teen on MP, based on your posts - no, I do not think you should be home alone.

Nope.
I remember being sixteen and all the stupidity my sister and I would get into when the adults were away for the weekend. (and it was of the 'no drinking, no smoking' variety, but still, too much drama!) We were fairly responsible, even at that point, however, there's a lot of peer pressure that goes with being a teen... esp. a teen with an unsupervised house.

Sixteen means 'not quite an adult, still living by the good graces of mom and dad'. Most sixteen year olds still get into fights with their parents over rules and boundaries, still need parental support from time to time, and still need parental presence from time to time. As I said before, even the most responsible teen can feel pressured to 'have a few friends over' and then word spreads too easily, via social media... Just not a good idea.

No freaking way, crazy.

Uh NO. I remember being left home alone a lot of weekends as a teenager and no way would i leave my kids home alone. I got in to a lot of trouble during those weekends i can only imagine if it had been a whole week.

1 / 3