What to Do with Old Alkaline Batteries

Does anyone have ideas for how to properly dispose of old alkaline batteries? With two little ones and loads of toys requiring batteries, I am constantly replacing them. I know places that take rechargeable batteries but not disposable alkaline. I try to be Earth friendly but I simply need too many batteries to use solely rechargeable ones. Alkaline batteries leak mercury and other toxins into our ground water so where can I take them for recycling? I researched and came up with nothing. CA requires recycling as do our European friends but not here in IL. Thoughts?

Thank you to all the wonderful "green" moms out there who offered up ideas on where to bring the batteries. I had no idea that Walgreens, IKEA and possibly even Target (hello, I live there) recycle batteries. I really appreciate your thoughts. Together we can all do a better job keeping our beautiful planet clean!

I collect them in a big bag.Ikea has a recyceling program
for batteries,I myself have to look around,too if there are other places outthere.

I save mine up until we go to the Peggy Notebaert museum - they have a battery recycling bin at the entrance.

In the Loop, there is a Radio Shack at Clark/Adams that collects them. I've also gone to the Ace Hardware at Clark/Wellington in Lakeview.

IKEA has a recycling station where you can return batteries and fluorescent light bulbs

Our Walmart has a recycle container for old batteris and other stuff like cell phones, plastic bags, and ink cartridges. Otherwise call the local garbage company or recycling center they might be able to tell you where you can drop them off.
Best of luck
Peggy

Hey, I just wanted to say good for you! I live in Kentucky, and recycling seems like a foreign concept here! I once called the city to find out what to do with old oil-based paint, and they told me to dump it down the sink! Are you kidding? Anyway, it's always great to see people making efforts not to put more dangerous chemicals into our environment! Thank you!

I know you got a lot of great responses. Just wanted to mention one more option to everyone - that Staples office supply store has a recycling drop off too - they take old batteries. I go there to drop off mine...I believe most of the office supply stores do this as a courtesy. Give them a call to check a location near you.

If you are in the city of Chicago, all Walgreens and public libraries take alkaline batteries to recycle. Suburban Walgreens don't necessarily take them.

We take all of ours to Home Depot, they have a recycling box by the registers. The box actually says just for large drill batteries and rechargeable batteries, however they said to throw all batteries in there and they will recycle them.

I am pretty sure Target had a drop off box at their video counter (where you see the tv's) that you can drop off old batteries. Maybe check with WalMart too. Otherwise I'd put them in a baggie and wait for the annual recycle event with the guys who pick up the garbage to get rid of them.

1 / 3