Do You Throw Batteries Away?

Okay, this is a strange question. Do you throw batteries away? If not then what are you supposed to do with them. We had been using rechargeable for a long time, then they stopped holding their charge and our charger went out. Since then we have just been using the non-chargeable kind. So my question is, what do I do with all of these old batteries, rechargeable and regular? I try to be green if possible, so if you know of an environmentally friendly way to dispose of them, that's what I would prefer.

thanks mommas!

I am bad, I throw them away. If Troy catches me he stops me. :( I think even Wal Mart has a collection place, just google it.

Other than the battery issue I am very environmental it is just the kids go through so many of them and I don't want the old ones mixed up with the new ones. I used to use rechargeable but they kept taking their toys to their dads who would throw out my rechargeable batteries so I gave up, it was too expensive.

great question. hubby tosses them in the trash, If i see them i grab them and have a container of them int he basement but i don't know what to do to get rid of them. ugg. I don't need environmental guilt I have enough other guilt.

Yeah. Your not supposed to?? : /

for some reason - you aren't supposed to throw them away - just like those new light bulbs that the Govt and "green" people are forcing us to buy....

We put ours in the recycling bin...maybe wrong - who knows!!

Up until recently I didn't know. You are definetly NOT supposed to throw them in the garbage. They have lots of bad stuff in them. I know I have thrown a lot away and I feel bad. :( You can take them to any Lowes or Home Depot. Lots of hadware stores take them too. You are supposed to do the same withe .the "squiggly" bulbs. Did you know if you break one you have to leave the room for a while because they have lots of bad stuff in them like mercury. Considering that lots of people don't know this, they don't seem so environmentally sound, do they?

Thanks for asking this question. I had wondered that myself and just did not feel right putting them in the trash. I see there are places you can drop them off at which I didn't know anything about.

You can search for drop off locations by zip code, here's a link.
http://www.call2recycle.org/

** In the state of Florida, it's actually illegal to throw them in the trash, not many people know this. I would imagine many states have this law, I would check out your state Department of Environmental Protection website.

No I don't throw them away. I put them off to the side until I have several of them and take them to Home Depot. They have a big garbage can in the front entrance to collect batteries for recycling. I use rechargeable AAs but recycle the rest...we don't want these eroding in a dump.

1 / 3