What Do You Do with Old Batteries?

Does anyone do anything special to throw away their batteries? (Like Double A's)
Do you just throw them away in the trash or do you take them to a special disposal site?
I'm trying to be more environmentally conscious and I hear they are not good for the environment in landfills. :) Thanks!

Thank you everyone for all your HELPFUL responses! There are a lot more choices than I thought and there were also some other great advice. It's great to know there are others wanting to take care of our environment. :)

wow I didnt know about all these options!!!

Here is another from SCARCE
http://www.bookrescue.org/recycle/default.asp?page=Rhazwaste

I think lowe's or maybe home depot has a collection box to recycle them. They can definitely be recycled and it's much better for the environment than throwing them into a landfill!! I save them in a container until I have a bunch then find a place that recycles them.

Here is an address to a website that you can type in your zip code and what you need to recycle (incl. batteries) and it will tell you all the places in your area.

http://earth911.org/recycling/battery-recycling/

A.

Here is another from SCARCE

Monday, 12/3/07

C.,

Wow, great question! I am so glad to hear that others out there want to be conscientious, responsible consumers. I took a zip lock bag of old used batteries to a Radio Shack here in Phoenix. They told me they only took rechargable batteries. Since most of mine were the single use, alkaline type, they did not take them. I have been looking for another place that will accept the alkaline type. Your question provided the impetus for me to get going and check it out again. I now have two zip lock bags of alkaline batteries that need a recycle home. Many good suggestions
and responses. Thanks ladies!

C.,

These are some great ideas, Also, there seems to be a Walgreens on every other corner and they take batteries to recycle. Just drop them off at the photo counter. (You MAY want to call your local Walgreens just to be sure. My sister-in-law works for Walgreens and didn't know anything about this, but when I called our local Walgreens, they told me ALL Walgreens do it.)

~P.

Just in case no one else has responded, IKEA recyles batteries. They have a bin in the customer service area for these. They also have a bin for the compact florescent bulbs.

If you happen to live in the Schaumburg area, you might also be interested to know that the Nature Center on 320 W Wise Road collects all kinds of things for recycling: Diskettes, CDs DVDs, jewel cases, videotapes, cassette tapes, computer tapes and case, cell phones pager, PDA, rechargers and rechargeable batteries, printer cartridges, old athletic shoes, crayons, new or used toys towels, and newspaper.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do what we can to protect this good earth that we will be handing down.

In Chicago you can recycle them at some of the libraries.

They are supposed to be recycled. I know Ikea has a container by the Exit doors. Another option would be to check the Household Hazard collections that are done in each village/town and take them to that.

1 / 3