Thought on 12 Year Old Having a Facebook Account

I was wonderring what are your thought about facebook. My 12 year old wants a facebook account mainly because a good friend of moved out of the state and she has a facebook account so they want to stay in touch that way. My concern is how safe is it for my daughter. I would be checking her account often. But can strangers get her information and I just had my computer fixed because I had several viruses on it. and I am worried that more viruses can get on my computer through the website. Your thought are appreciated.

Hello.

I have an 11.5 yr old son and he has mentioned that he would like a Myspace account last year and since Facebook seems to be the new social site---I told him he couldn't because it IS A SOCIAL site. He also mentioned that he wanted to keep in touch with his old friends. I suggested opening an email account. It's been working so far. I think you both should consider just opening an email account. Good luck.

Hi N. -
My daughter has a facebook account. She used my email address and my last name (hers is different). She is only allowed to be friends with people she knows in real life, and her photo is of Joe Jonas rather than herself. She feels safe this way, and so do I. Take care!

Hi N.,

If she want to communicate with her friend from out of state, she could do that with email or even more personal and thoughtful....sit down and hand write a letter.

Blessings.....

Your daughter can make her account private which means no one can get her information. However! Whoever is on her friends list can see whatever information your daughter sends her friend:pictures, notes and all. Personally, I would stick to email since they can send pictures notes and chat. They can also do yahoo chat or aol chat which doesn't give out email or info since it will be strictly between the two of them. Much luck to you!

You can block everything and make it so only her friends (people who she has allowed) can see her page. Also you can enter your email address so that everytime someone sends a friend request or a message it goes to your email. It is pretty safe.

Hello.

My advice as a 5th grade teacher is NOT to let her have one. I have seen nothing good come out of our students who have Facebooks or MySpaces. There have been suspensions over messages sent via these sites. Though not everyone can see your daughter's full profile on Facebook if you have the privacy settings on, anyone can send her a message. Anyone. Adult, school bully, friends. With an email address, one has to know the specific account name. Plus, spam is not a problem unless you are giving out the email address on other websites. If it were my child, I would go the email route. Best of luck!

I think it's okay as long as you understand the privacy settings, and monitor it frequently. I like the idea of having your own account and Friending her, but you should also log into her account to see everything. This should be an agreed rule.

You can set up the privacy settings so that nobody can find her and contact her unless she is already a Friend. Do not allow her to be friends with someone unless you know who they are (and that they are who they say they are). Make it clear what she can and cannot post. Also, make clear that she must check with you before adding any Applications. These each have their own privacy settings which should be set.

That being said, if you makes you uncomfortable, you are well within your right to say Not Yet. Email is a very reasonable alternative.

I honestly think it is a risk, on so many levels.

Kids need face time, not face book. Cyber bullying, time waster. Avoid work to get done.
risk safety..if people tag her photos ( and you cannot stop that) then she is spread all over..

I am not sure if she would want you to have one with her but that is what I would feel ok with.

Check out Kim Commando..a tech goddess who often talks about why she does not let her young son have certain access on line..she knows all of the scary stuff.

you can have it set up so that only friends can view and one has to ask permission that goes thru FB to ok the friend. Also if you yourself also got an account and became her "friend", you can see everything that people are posting on her wall. As far as the viruses, FB itself is safe. I did recently hear that there were some viruses, but I think that is when they start using the sending messages to all their friends, (ex: sending hugs, kisses, prayers drinks, etc.) Also, building something with Farmville, you virtually build a farm and ask friends to help... I stay away from that stuff and keep FB as a connection with friends from HS and present, and just share photos. My husband would say, get a MAC to stay away from viruses, (he works for Apple, but I still have a PC, he still talking me into a Mac ; )Good luck with what you decide.

My kids both have one and for starters make sure everything is set to friends only and not everyone or friends of friends secondly for my kids we used their first name but made up a last name, added 20 years to the age and they are not allowed to put photos of themselves, so they use a dragon or something else they like or recently we uses the web cartoon and made cartoon faces they use. They are happy they have the account and I am happy that they are as safe as I can keep them. Also they are not allowed to have any friend I have not approved. Mine mostly want it for the games like Yovile. Hope this helps, Good Luck!

1 / 3