So How About Skimpy Bikinis on 13-Year-olds. with Boys Around?

Jumping off on the little girls in bikinis...what's the collective opinion on big girls in bikinis? I took my 13-yo step daughter swimsuit shopping this year and vetoed just about everything she pulled off the racks. Leave it to Mudd to make even boy shorts look skankier than a regular swimsuit bottom (if I can see the crease of your bum, it's not long enough!). I told her that she could wear either a regular-cut tankini bottom or a modest boy short (not hooters/daisy duke boy shorts) and for tops around the house and at pool parties, a tankini top that comes to the waist. I did allow her to get a bikini top to wear when she's just with her girl friends and it's very modest - not a triangle top. She agreed that at home, especially with her three brothers (13, 7, & 5) and my son's 13-year-old guy friends around, she wants to be able to be comfortable and somewhat modest and not worry about falling out of her suit or having people ogle her.

But her girlfriends are another story...I can't believe what these girls wear! String bikinis (literally - triangle tops AND bottoms) are just so gross to me, especially at this age. Some of the girls I don't know very well. But for the ones whose moms I do know pretty well, should I maybe give them a gentle reminder that more often than not there are 13-year-old boys here as well and they might want their daughters to pack something more modest when they come to swim here? The boys are definitely not rude or inappropriate, but I do see them struggle to not look too much when their classmates' cleavage and butts are right there in their faces. And the girls are no fools - the ones who have great figures know it and flaunt it, being extra slow to walk, and little more swing in the hips, doing that stance where butt and boobs are pushed out, etc. It would be comical if it weren't my kids ;-)

So am I just being prude? If you are a mom who thinks the string bikini on a 13 year old is cute and sassy, would you be offended if someone suggested that your daughter cover up a bit around the boys? Or is it a losing battle?

Honestly do none of you remember being 13? If you could get a way with a bikini you did, It is a losing battle but if it really bothers you Yes you could tell them to cover up but they wont. You have a pool expect skin. I am 40 and I still wear bikini's yes the triagle top tie on the side bikini.

What there are such things as bikini's? I have never heard of such a thing! This will be my response until my daughter is thirty. While I am buying her suits/clothes then she will dress modestly.

I have a 14 year old (& 10 & 7) daughter and a 16 yo son. All my girls have bikini's, I let them chose to wear or not. I tell my 14 yo if I think something is too small, inappropriate. I would be kind of mad is someone told my daughter she was invited over to swim but must dress modestly, that imply's that she doesn't. My 14 is pretty much totally unaware of how her body might look to boys- she does not flaunt. Anyway to answer the question yes i would be offended.

Um, I was a child in the 70s and a teen in the 80s. Bikinis were pretty much the norm, they actually haven't changed that much over the years.
I think a lot of you moms have forgotten what it's like to be a teenage girl ;)

I'm going to agree with 3boysandme on this one. I didn't wear a bikini at 13 but I wanted to. I was a country girl and a bit sheltered, but I got a bikini as soon as I could. I just wore a bikini to the beach with my daughter yesterday (I'm 50). She is 9 and is most comfortable in a tankini as she still has a young girl, a little chubby around the middle, shape. When and if she wants to wear a bikini I'll help her find the most flattering one for her.

There were a lot of young teens at the beach yesterday, and most of the girls were wearing bikinis. And yes, there was a bit of the flirty stuff going on. What would you expect from a group young teens?? Of course, they're going to practice their moves in front of each other, that's what the teenage years are for! The girls giggle and pose and shake their hair a bit and the boys splash them and try to throw them off the diving platform!! Then they have some ice cream and they all go home. This has been going on for generations.

Well, to each his own, I guess.

My daughter has worn a bikini since birth. She's 14 this year. Last week we bought her a Nike athletic style, it's not about fashion, it's about strength, but it is pretty skimpy.

Man when she puts it on she is gorgeous, athletic, smart, strong girl who is proud of who she is. It is not about sex, sorry.

It's in the eye of the beholder I suppose like any other thing, I think we are a sex (or lack there of) obsessed society if we see this kind of thing as dirty.

I can assure you no one who sees my daughter in her Nike bikini would ever think she was 'EASY'. Have you seen what the olympic track runners where?

:)

Sorry - it's all a bit too 'Brave New World' for me
(where sex is a social activity, rather than a means of reproduction and sex is encouraged from early childhood).

I with you on a 13 year old needs coverage and a string bikini isn't going to provide it. I do buy my 2 year old tankinis though because it's easier with potty training, but even then her belly is covered.

That being said, I don't think it's your place to tell someone else what their child should wear. Personally, I would be pissed if someone questioned the way I dressed my daughter.

No way...you are Definitly NOT being a prude! You wouldn't hafta worry about me allowing MY daughter wearing that around but sadly, what's even MORE sick is even younger girls, younger than 10 even, being allowed to wear skimpy suits like that! Even as young as 3! I too think it's disgusting & appalling to see a young girl wearing such a revealing outfit! I just wanna go to the mom's & say "What's WRONG w/you!!" but alas, we can't good judgement into everyone's brain. I think even 15 is too young...I'd prefer seeing regular bikinis on high school girls over 17 & I think tankinis are fine on younger than 17. It's still a comfortable two piece but also modest...to me that's age appropriate. You're doing right! It's wonderful to see a concerned & conservative mom! Way to go! You're not only doing the right thing but also teaching your daughter modesty & the right time to wear such things. So again, NO you are NOT being prudish. I wished more mom's think like we do. Best wishes.

Haven't read the other answers yet but my daughter is 11 years old. She is 5'3" and weighs about 115. She wears maybe a size 4-6 clothes. She wears a 34C bra (yes, you read that right). She is the size and shape of a small adult woman. She wears either one piece bathing suits or tankinis - period. Everything needs to be covered with nothing sticking out. There is no reason (in my humble opinion) to show all the goodies. I think it's disgusting how people allow their teen agers to prance around in little more than a few inches of fabric. Sorry if I offend anyone, but what are our daughters advertising?

1 / 3