Bikinis for 5 Year Olds?

Well I have a son so this don't really relate to him, but my neighbor does. Shes 5 and I think so is her little cousin thats been staying there for a couple of days, and both wear these little bikini like swim suits. Am I the only one that thinks they are way to young to be wearing something like that? I mean Tankines are one thing but a swim suit that makes a 5 year old look like shes wearing a bra and undies doesn't seem right to me. Yes its a swim suit, but still just seems wrong to me. Mind you I wouldn't say a word to the neighbor about it, just got me wondering if I was the only one that thought some of these things that are put out for our kids to wear are really apporirate.

I don't care that they are mind you, Just I don't think is approiate. Meaning if I had a girl I would never alow them to wear such things. And yes they can be cute, though I think they need to be made differntly if so.

As for the bathroom thing I can see that. Would be easier that way.

I agree. And I think that about a LOT of the clothes they make for young girls now too! It's very sad! Like you, I wouldn't say anything to the neighbor, but I wouldn't let my own daughters wear them! :o)

My girls have been wearing (modest, age appropriate) bikinis since they were in diapers (if they wear a bathing suit at all, WOO HOO!)

The only bikini I had a SERIOUS problem with was when Abercrombie Kids came out with a bikini for kids... WITH PUSH UP PADS IN THE TOP. EFFE *YOU* ABERCROMBIE & FITCH!! That crossed the line from cute to creepy.

There's a difference between 'cute, modest, age appropriate' bikinis, and slutty, child size bikinis. The one's my girls wear are not teeny tiny triangle tops... a bikini is defined as a 2 piece bathing suit. These cover more than enough... not little string bikinis or anything! They have PLENTY of coverage, but they're little bellys and backs get some sun, NO big deal, nothing inappropriate about them :) They're adorable! Even a bikini top with board shorts, SUPER CUTE!!

I hate bikinis on little girls. I know most people don't take issue with it. Like one poster said, bikinis on little girls are pointless. No breasts to hold them in place! Not to mention, really, why not make it easy on the pedophiles? :|

I've never had trouble with my little ones going potty in swimsuits. I just sit them on the pot, and reach in front and behind them to kind of pull the crotch part to the left or right, out of the way. They go, we wipe, I put their suit back in place, everyone washes hands, and no one had to peel out of a swimsuit. By the time they're five, maybe six, they can usually handle doing that on their own.

Totally inappropriate, I believe. I'm with you on this one, D.! :)

My daughter has worn cute little bikinis since birth. It never occurred to me (until now) that there were so many sexually dysfunctional women all around me at the beach and pool thinking it was 'inappropriate'.

Huh, who knew?

:)

My daughter has plenty of time in her adulthood to choose how much skin she wants to show off. I, of course, think she is darling running around the house nekkid :) But when we are going to be outside playing in the sprinkler or swimming at a hotel I don't need strangers seeing any more than is absolutely necessary. We searched high and low for a one piece bathing suit, and it was HARD to find one (she wears a 3T). I think that is rediculous, that I had to search three stores to find a one piece suit for a toddler that didn't have cutouts to show as much skin as possible.
I also don't like the super short shorts that are out there for little girls lately. I got a bunch of handme downs, and the inseam was no more than 1 1/2 inches! I gave them to a consignment store and got her shorts that are labeled "bermuda." At three years old, the minute she sits down to play in the sand box you can see right up those tiny shorts, not my cup of tea.
I am only interested in preserving her innocence and comfort, cute and sassy can come later, much later!
and FYI, I'm not sexually dysfunctional, but there are lots of weirdos out there that ARE, and I don't want them looking at my daughter

Obviously many people think they are appropriate as they keep making them and keep selling them. I am not as offended by children wearing them as some adult women that wear next to nothing at the pool/beach. That being said, if I had a daughter, I would not let her wear one as I wouldn't want her wearing one as she grows up. I think one-pieces are much more flattering and don't attract the negative attention that bikinis do. I work with teenage girls and they don't understand why guys bother them when they wear skimpy clothing/swimwear. I tell them over and over that we don't understand how the male mind works, but if they're going to show off their skin, it will attract some nasty attention (not that the guys are in the right either).
Its not really my business, but I do want to protect the future minds of my sons, so as they get older, I'll probably try to keep them from girls in bikinis as much as possible (I know, I know...good luck with that :)

I think its so trashy to see a little girl in a bikini. Not that the girl is trashy, but it says more about the parent who approves of it.

Bikinis don't bother me as long as the style and cut is modest and age appropriate.
I am WAY more disturbed by the sexy panties they sell in the little girls section. Some of them are just gross :(

1 / 3