Numbness and Tingling in Arms and Hands!!

Help Me..I am in my eighth month and and now getting what could be carpel tunnel syndrome. My hands and arms keep going numb and tingly, but the worst part is the muscle stiffness. My forearms keep throbbing with the worst pain of my life. I don'yt know what to do. I try shifting the baby off of my nerves but it comes right back.

Thsnk You everyone for your help and suggestions. I feel like my doctor doesn't realize the extent of my pain. He just days" Suck it up for awhile longer"That's what I should expect being on pregnancy medicaid though. Well I think I will try to get a referral for physical therapy, that will hopefully give me some relief. I hope I can find a physical therapist that excepts medicaid. I also need a neurologist that accepts medicaid. Any suggestions on that? Maybe I'll make another rewuest for that help. Thanks all, R.

I had the same problem with my last pregnancy. My doctor said this was due to excessive swelling in pregnancy and there wasn't much I could do. The only thing that helped a little was keeping my arm elevated with a pillow or something when lying down. The pain in my arm was at its worst in the middle of the night while I was sleeping.

I'm a physical therapist and work at Sacred Heart Rehab on Davis highway ###-###-####). We accept Medicaid. I've seen a few patients like yourself. It definately sounds like you have CTS due to fluid retention from your pregnancy. There are things we can do like teach you home exercises and make you night splints. Please call us and make an appointment...all you need is a doctor's prescription for physical therapy. Hope this helps!

Hi R.
I am brand new to the board (this is my first posting), but I knew that I had to respond to this. I had the same problem during my first pregnancy and my doctor basically told me just to wait it out, but that if I wanted to I could use carpal tunnel braces. You can buy them at Wal-Mart. I did that and it helped SO much! Other than immobilizing your wrists, there really isn't too much you can do. The braces help a lot with the pain and other symptoms. You don't need a prescription, but I would ask your doctor about it just to make sure they are okay with that... I wouldn't think that they would have a problem with it, but you never know. I still sometimes get carpal tunnel flare ups, but I type a lot, so that affects it too. Good luck, I hope this gets better for you soon.
N.

I got pregnancy carpal tunnel really bad first pregnancy - my doc gave me 2 wrist splints to wear to bed each night (you get used to sleeping that way) and it really helped. I couldn't even hold a hairbrush anymore mine got so bad...
So, try asking your doc for the splints - my insurance covered the cost, I am not sure how expensive they are otherwise.

sorry to tell you that it probably isnt going to stop until after delivery. I had it from about 7 months on and it took me about 1 month after delivery for all the feeling to come back to my finger, I got to the point in my pregnancy that I never got "real" feeling in my fingers. sleep with your arms elevated, and talk to your ob about getting braces for your wrists

Accupuncture helped me a lot with this same problem. Mine started in my second trimester and I'm a massage therapist and it was nearly impossible to work until I went to my A.P. She explained that when you are pregnant, so much of your resources go to your core to nourish the baby and sometimes it doesn't leave much for your limbs, thus the common complaints of carpal tunnel and sciatica. And of course, compresed nerves are a contributing factor as well. I used massage, chiropractic and accupunture throughout my pregnancy with great results. Alternative forms of medicine are really your only option right now, traditional medicine will tell you that you will have to wait it out until your baby is born. This is not necessarily true! My A.P. is in Tarpon Springs, Christy Giallourakis ###-###-####, she is excellent!

I've actually heard that this is something that can happen during pregnancy. I've actually had that problem since my son was born....most likely from holding him and all, he's a very large baby.
You should talk to your healthcare provider about this! Better to try and deal with it now than after s/he's born.

If you're not already....Try taking in more potassium (like bananas). It will help with your circulation. I used to eat a banana @ breakfast, lunch & before I went to bed. It seemed to help a lot.

Hi R.
I am a physical therapist. I had carpal tunnel with my pregnancy also, but only numbness in my hands. This condition is not caused by the baby pushing on your nerves. It is caused from a combination of swelling and laxity in your joints that encrouch on a canal that runs through your wrist. Unfortunately if the nerve is also being pinched in your neck, secondary to muscle tightness, posture or laxity in the joints you get a "double crush injury" to that nerve and it causes problems all the way down your arm. One of the simplest treatments that helps some of my patients is ice. Ice at your wrist and possibly even at your neck and shoulder on that side (or both if both are hurting) Ice for 10-15 minutes a couple times a day. When I told my Dr that I was getting carpel tunnel during my pregnancy, but was icing a couple times a day. She asked "does that work, I never thought to tell my patients that" A lot of Dr just chalk it up to normal complications with pregnancy and it will go away. If you need more help, I suggest getting a referral for physical therapy to help assess for any postural issues,and or muscular tightness. This condition can also cause muscle cramping. However, so can an electrolyte imbalance. Make sure you are taking in enough water, calcium and potassium. I hope this helps and I wish you lots of luck

1 / 3