8 Months Pregnant and Hands Are Hurting Really Bad like I Have Arthritis

I'm just into my 8th month of pregnancy and my hands have been hurting really bad for the past month. My right hand hurts worse. My finger tips are tingly like i have no feeling in them and my hands hurt really bad. It hurts worse to grip things, like holding onto a pen or even a knife. Has anyone else ever experienced this before? If so, any suggestions as to what I can do to help my hands?? THANKS!

Hi T. -

The same thing happened to me with my second pregnancy. My hands would tingle so bad, I couldn't sleep at night. I got a carpal tunnel brace from Walgreen (I think it was abt $20) and it really helped. It was hard to get used to sleeping in it, but it worked! I got the lace up kind....good luck and it does eventually go away after you deliver!

I had this as well-pregnancy induced carpal tunnel as my dr called it. I wore a wrist brace from cvs all day and especially at night. It you can prop it when you sleep - like putting it up on a pillowthat helped me a lot. Also having my husband massage my arm from elbow to fingers helped with circulation. It was better about a month after I gave birth. Avoiding salt and salty foods also helps with the swelling.

Your two other answers have great advice. I would like to add that this happened to me and my ob said it is due to the high amount of "relaxin", the hormone that allows your joints to spread in preparation for giving birth. It is also exacerbated by the extra fluid you are carrying around (both blood and h2o), which puts pressure on the nerves.
You will sweat like a crazy woman for about 2 weeks post partum, and part of it will be to get rid of this fluid that is giving you problems now. Also, don't be surprised if is takes several (as in 9) months to get back to normal.

T.,

It sounds like you have pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel syndrome. I know it sounds crazy and I had never heard of it until it happened to me during my pregnancy. Buy a wrist brace from CVS, Walgreen's, etc. and try wearing it to alleviate the pain. It should help. It's sometimes caused by the swelling we have while we're pregnant. It will go away after the pregnancy and the swelling subsides. Mine did. You also may want to ask your OB/GYN about it. I did and that's how I found out. Best of luck to you and congratulations on the impending birth of your babies!

I had a similar problem in my wrist that got worse after I gave birth. I went to an orthopedic doc and he said it was related to the pregnancy- called it "pregnancy tendenitis." He gave me a cortisone shot, which I had some bad complications from. I eventually went to an acupuncturist and was 100% better after a couple of treatments. I highly recommend that.

I think the problem has to do with the loss of fluid in the joints. Other common problems include ankles and knees.

Good luck. PM me if you want the name of my acupuncturist. (it doesn't hurt at all and is completely safe for pregnancy).

This is common in pregnancy. I'd recommend practicing good ergonomics - especially if you are still working. Elevate your hands/ arms. I'd also check into Chair Massage or even reflexology as this is very safe in pregnancy and can help relieve any other issues you have (not to mention, it relieves the constant pressure you have on your feet and some therapist can reduce any swollen ankles.)

You are not too limited in alternative sources - or you can wait it out.

try soaking in epsom salt and worm water, it helps take down swelling, and talk to your OB if you haven't already

Oh yes, this happened to me with both pregnancies. It started just by blow drying my hair in the mornings. The doctor said they can't do anything about it. But it decreased after the births but I still do experience it just not as much. Try to take breaks from using your hands when you are experiencing it..that is really all the advice I have. Sorry!
stay at home mom 16 mos and 7.5yr old

I had this terribly in my 1st and 3rd pregnancies. For my 1st, I had physical therapy while i was pregnant, and it was very helpful. They did some exercises, massages, and another therapy - electrode, maybe?

Some advice I got that helped a lot during pregnancy - sleep with your arms on pillows while wearing the splints another poster mentioned, keeping them elevated whenever possible, and eating pineapple for the B-12 (I think that's the vitamin)

I suggest you have it tested again after you are pregnant. I still have it and even now as I type my fingers are numb. I will be having surgery soon - when my baby doesn't need to be carried so much.

1 / 3