Not Getting Wished for Toy from Santa? How to Explain?

Hi all,

Just wondering.... when your child does NOT get, what he/she asked from Santa... how do you explain that to your child?????

My kids (son 4, and daughter 8)... have a list of things they want. Which I keep track of. When "I" tell them Mommy cannot get them a certain thing, they say "That's okay Mommy, Santa will bring it... he knows..." etc.

This year, is a lean year... so, we can't get what we got them last year, in terms of gifts.
I already got them their gifts. I can't buy any more than that.
I have not even gotten their stocking stuffers yet, but that can be done later.
Still, what about their "Santa" things they request from him???

My son THIS year... is especially into Santa now, at 4 years old. Last year, he could care less.
And my Daughter is still into Santa too.
In the past... it was just my Daughter that I had to 'explain' why Santa did not bring 'everything' they wished for or asked from Santa and she was fine with any ol' answer I gave her off the top of my head.... but this year... my son also.... will wonder..... and "quiz" me about.

Anyway, just wondering what other Parents do/say/tell their kids....????

Santa has so many boys and girls to provide gifts for that otherwise wouldn't have a Christmas at all... not even Christmas cookies! So he can't get everything each child wants in order to be fair to everyone... but he does hope that what he does get, will be loved and appreciated!

We had this problem this year and last year. There was a meltdown last Xmas when she didn't get what she wanted! And this year she asked for several things that were over $1000!! She said she'd ask SANTA for them because she knew we couldn't afford them.

Last year she was mad that some kids she knew got what she wanted and she didn't get one. She said it wasn't fair.

I ended up telling her that we give Santa the money to buy certain gifts because Santa can't make everything in his workshop. I also told her that Santa knows what the rules are in each house and he won't bring anything that's against the rules.

She bought it, but I think we're getting close to the truth about Santa. We might only get one more year.

I tell my 4 yo that she can ask for specific toys but Santa likes to surprise her; it's up to him on what he'll bring. What she asks for is suppose to give him an idea.

Santa only delivers one present per child in our house, so my kids have one thing in mind that they specifically ask santa for (so you know that's on the top of the list). Other presents come from mom and dad, grandparents, etc. but there's no expectation to receive all items on list - more that it's suggestions.

We get our girls to make a list of about 3-4 items to ask Santa for and tell them he'll only bring ONE special gift. Then hubby and I choose which one they get. Mine are still young enough that I can 'guide' them a little in their requests though.

I tell my boys that Santa brings them one special toy and he knows that whatever he gets them they will be happy with or he may not be back next year.

I usually try to get one gift from the wish list. I always told them when asked that Santa saw another little boy or girl that did not have a gift so he gave that gift to that little boy or girl. We usually had a day before Christmas that we talked about others that do not have anything so it usually worked out.

Last year my 3 year old wanted that Barbie house she heard about at daycare...$300---yeah RIGHT!!!!

It was the perfect opportunity to set the Christmas tone and explain "Santa does not always bring what you ask for, sometimes he has a better idea, but the important thing is to be thankful and happy for what you get....." A couple days after Christmas when my daughter did NOT get the Barbie house, and we never mentioned it, she declared, "Mom! I didn't get the Barbie house, and I still feel happy!!!!" Then this year, her younger brother was pointing at a Chuck the Truck thing on TV, and she said to him, "Now remember, Santa does not always bring what you want." Luckily she accidentally wants something cheap this year, so they'll each get what they wanted. :)

It's not easy, but think about it, in this economy, MOST kids aren't getting what they want from Santa! BTW I am TOTALLY stealing emrld444's copyright and house rules things going forward-genius!

1 / 3