How Many Christmas Presents Do You Label from Santa Vs. Mommy and Daddy?

My children are almost four and two and a half. The almost four year old is already reading some words so this is the first year this has been an issue for us. I started wrapping all of the gifts today and my husband said (he has two boys from a previous marriage) that he used to put all the gifts from Santa and none from him. I disagree with him but I'm not sure how many should be from Santa and how many should be from us! How do you guys do it? Also, we bought one "special" gift for each of them, should Santa be credited with giving the really cool gifts or should we? Help!!!

C.,
I have always told my kids (as I was told) as long as you believe in Santa, you will still receive gifts from Santa. We wrap a couple of gifts from Santa, and the rest from Mom and Dad. (my boys are 9 and 16). That way, if we are having a tough year financially - we could explain that we don't have a lot of money this year (but they still get something from Santa). I wrap the Santa gifts in special "Santa" paper, and use different name tags also. I do not give Santa credit for all to best gifts either. I want my kids to know that Mom & Dad want to do something special for them at this wonderful time of year.
Good luck and enjoy the magic of Santa with them as long as you can...

We open family gifts x-mas eve...so the only gifts udner the tree in the am are from Santa. I split them evenly. My kids are 4.5 and 14 mos. Each gets a "big" gift from mom and dad and a "big" gift from Santa and several smaller gifts. I think each are getting about 4 from us and 4 from Santa. I wrap all Santa gifts in special santa paper (which helps me remember what is what).

We have a 21 month old. Last year, she was only 9 months so we didn't worry about it, we just put them all under the tree.

This year, we got her a dollhouse and a bunch of littler toys. The littler stuff is going to be from us and is already wrapped under the tree. The dollhouse and the stocking will be brought out after she goes to bed and will be from Santa.

When I was growing up, the little stuff & small toys were always from Mom & Dad and the stocking & "big things" (i.e. the expensive or larger item or items - the things I "asked" Santa for when we went to see him) were always from Santa.

Good morning, C.! I know santa is a huge "part" of Christmas, but this is not what Christmas is all about. Personally, I grew up without "santa" simply because I knew that santa-gifts did not really come from "santa"..he was simply a man dressed in red. Christ is the real reason for Christmas, and the gifts under the tree say what is true..from mommy and daddy! We have just as much fun in the spirit of Christmas without downplaying what is real. There's a time when kids get too old for "santa"..doesn't that tell you something? You never get too old for Christ!God bless, and Merry Christmas!

We try to avoid anything Santa in our house. So, all tags are from "someone" not Santa. I even avoid buying wrapping paper etc with Santa on it.
Merry Christmas!!!

Our kids know that Santa isn't real too, so this isn't an issue and there is never any disappointment when they find out the truth.

C.,

Since their first Christmases we've always told our kids that Santa isn't real so, all are from mom and dad.

C.,

When I write the kids names on presents I use a pemanent marker and write directly on the wrapping paper. There is no issue here as to who something is from. We try to play down Santa. When my kids ask if he is real, I just smile and shrug my shoulders. Really Jesus is the reason for the season and that is pretty magicial in itself if you ask me!

My husband and I give our girls two gifts each, they get one from their sisters, and then their stocking is filled with little things from Santa (markers, candy, etc). They love opening their gifts from us in the evening and then have their stockings to look forward to in the morning!
Whatever you do, your kids will love it. I hope this Christmas is a blessed one for you and your family.

Hi C., you will have to do what works for your family and also bear in mind what your children will be hearing from other kids and adults as they grow older. If all the gifts come from Santa then you have no leeway for when times are tough for you financially. Also, how do you explain why does Santa give all the toys to your children and not to the homeless or less fortunate kids? It's a fine line. Santa puts toys in my daughters stocking (unwrapped at the moment)and the majority of the gifts are from my husband and I (under the tree). The wrapped gifts are labelled who they are from so that she will be able to say thankyou to the appropriate people. Christmas is about many many things and if you are religious than definitely incorporate your beliefs into your gift giving but don't allow anyone to make you feel guilty about Santa or gift giving.

Merry Christmas! (I'm too excited to sleep!)

1 / 3