What Reason Do You Tell Your Kids Why Santa Didn't Get Them What They Wanted?

Just anticipating here... for after the gifts are opened... and your kids didn't get what they wanted from
"Santa"... especially the bigger ticket items... (that you know you can't buy for them... or is not practical for your home/yard)?

What explanation... do you give your kids... as to WHY they didn't get what they hoped for or wrote to Santa, for?

My kids say "But Santa has a workshop and he can make anything! Even if its expensive! He's magic! And his Elves can build anything!"
(No... we have never told our kids that Santa can do anything. This is their own imagination/belief in Santa.... and their dreaming...)

TIA!

I always explained that Santa gives gifts to children all over the world and so he does not always have enough room or time to make EVERY toy we ask for.. Also sometimes he picks out exactly what he would like for her to have.. It is specially made just for her.

Also we do not want to sound greedy.. So we think of things we really want or would like, but that are not too expensive..

Never had a problem with it, she just knew Santa was on a budget just like the rest of us.

I never saw or read any story that had ever said Santa gives you everything you wish for..

I used to tell them up front that Santa can not bring that, so think of something else to ask for. It really has never been an issue.

I never had to explain this, my daughter never handed over a shopping list and is the most appreciative kid on the planet. She is 18 now and has NEVER made a list and I don't recall the last time she asked for anything for her birthday or Christmas...makes it tough for us!!

oh for pete's sake @ all the "we don't do santa" moms. then why are you answering a question about santa? stay up on your pedestal next time...sheesh. everybody's gotta jump in when they think they're going to get to show how superior they are. yeah i've done it too. but it's still annoying.

i think that in our household growing up, we all knew that santa had about the same budget as mom lol. we didn't ask for huge extravagant gifts, because we were never that type of family. i think there were one or two times that similar discussions came up, and there were answers like, "i bet santa didn't have room for that on his sleigh," or "santa knew we didn't have room for that," or, "santa knew it wouldn't be fair to give you X, when little sister had asked for Y, so he got you something that would be fair." kids, of course, CAN be spoiled ungrateful brats (some more than others, i'm sure you know your kids better than any of us), but mostly they are pretty sweet little creatures. surely they won't spend too much time whining when they see all the fabulous presents they DID get.

and yes i have been talking to my son about gratitude lately. it seems we are going through a "rough patch" (growth spurt? reaction to stress that my husband and i are going through?) and his behavior is suffering...he's only 5 so he can't really help it all the time...so he gets down on himself and decides that santa will never bring him anything because he's being so naughty lately...so that turns into, "I DON'T WANT ANY PRESENTS! I HATE PRESENTS!" he just had a birthday, so that is a great opportunity to talk about being grateful for what you are given. these discussions are priceless, imo.

Here's the thing...
It's okay to have a wish list.
It's okay to say, "If I could have anything in the world...."
But, wish lists are just that. And when it comes to material possessions, wishes don't always come true.

I was able to teach my kids about empathy. It's fun to believe that Santa has a workshop and can make anything, but let them watch Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer. The elves are banging with hammers and making dolls and toy trucks.
The elves aren't making iPods or cell phones or video games or trampolines.
My kids, even though it's been hard as a single mom, have always done fairly well with the things they need and some of the surprises that they were hoping for here or there. But, I always taught my children to think of ALL the kids who want things. All around the world. Some kids ask Santa for a new coat because it's really getting cold or new boots or for a turkey for dinner. Some kids ask for the car to get fixed so mom doesn't have to ride the bus to work. Some kids only ask for a tree with some lights on it. Some kids just want their family to be together.
Kids who don't have much ask for so little, and there are so many of them that Santa is pretty busy trying to help them out first. If we have everything we need and we're happy, it's a good thing for Santa to give someone else what they want. We can be happy with what we get because we have so much already.
The other thing I always did with my kids was take their coats and shoes they had outgrown to the homeless shelter. My kids outgrew things before they wore them out so some little kids got some really good stuff and we choose a child from the Angel Tree.
I raised my kids to believe the season is more about giving from the heart as opposed to receiving and it's not about fancy or expensive stuff.
We celebrate Hanukkah as well.
Hanerot Halalu.
Tonight you get socks. Tomorrow, you get underpants. And all the latkes you can stand.

It's not about things.

Just my opinion.

Wish lists are WISH lists. The things we wish for and don't get, we might just need to work for. So if there's something you REALLY want, that Santa doesn't bring, do you want it enough to figure out how to work for it?

(This is one of my favorite 'circular arguments'. If not, then Santa probably knew you didn't want it that badly, and if SO then Santa knows that you're big enough and clever enough and patient enough now to work for it.)

Yes. I'm evil.

On the other hand, my son saved up $500 in 3 years for a laptop (from ages 5-8)

We give a few gifts from "Santa" and the rest from us (and other relatives). I tell them that Santa has to take care of so many gifts that he doesn't do things that are large or expensive. I also tell them that they can wish for whatever they want, but Santa and I are on the same page with what I will approve and nothing gets into the house unless it's "mom and dad approved" so don't set your heart on something that I would never allow you to have.

I make sure to approve the Santa list first....ensuring everyone is (going to be) happy on the big day! And in our house Santa only brings each child only 1 gift.

~Sometimes it does take some creative thinking and distraction but I don't allow anything to be requested in the Santa letter that I know can't be delivered! *My go-to denial response for most big ticket items is age...'Sorry kid, I think that your too young for an Xbox, Cell phone, Kindle' or whatever other expensive thing they are asking for!

How about "Santa is not a mailorder catalog"!

I don't know, but when we were little it was always pretty clear that our lists were mere suggestions, NOT an order form. We would get some of the things we asked for and maybe some that we didn't ask for.
When money was tight we'd only get one present some years and sometimes it was clothing! For some reason "Santa" always exactly knew what we needed even if it wasn't on our list - part of the magic of Christmas.

We also would have gotten into serious trouble for not being grateful and asking why we were not given the "bigger and better" present that we asked for...

Two things I've told my daughters:

I tell them that they can pick out a whole bunch of items and Santa will try his best to bring at least one of the items. (I make sure that some of the items are within our capabilities) I never let them ask Santa for one specific item.

Then I tell them, that Santa will not bring presents that mom & dad don't approve of....because my oldest has asked for things like a pet dog before.

1 / 3