Endometrial Ablation Pro/cons?

I'm 36 and I have had heavy, long periods all my life. I'm done having childen and had my tubes tied in '08'. My GYNO has been suggesting for over a year that I get a endometrial ablation to help with my periods. I would really like to hear from anyone who has had it done. Would you recommend it? Right now I'm unsure I would love to be done with these periods, just wondering about long turn effect/problems??

My BFF had it done several years ago. All of the women on both sides of her family have a disorder that causes them to have abnormally severe periods starting in their early 30's to where it seriously affects their health. By the time they're 40 the only way to stop it is with a radical hysterectomy.

So when my BFF started showing signs that getting her tubes tied wasn't helping and BCP's weren't working and other treatments weren't helping, they decided to go with the ablation. It's worked amazingly well and in six? eight? years she's gotten one period, maybe two, and only enough to fill half a pad. She's 37 now. She said it was the best thing she ever did for her health.

Looking forward to responses! I'm seriously considering this, but I would actually love to have a full hysterectomy. The thought of NEVER EVER having to have another period is sooooooo fantastic. My mother had one at my age (41) and said it was the best thing she ever did, but that was when they would do them "easier" than they will now. If ablation could stop or almost stop my periods, at least I would be pretty happy. It's such a FREAKING nuisance!

My SIL had the ablation and has had no regrets.

I had the option to have the ablation. My Dr. said sometimes they have to go back and redo it because it does not always "take".

I was DONE with having outpatient this and that and I asked if hysterectomy was a good option. He agreed.

I had a complete abdominal hysterectomy almost 10 yrs ago and NOT 1 REGRET. I LOVE MY LIFE.....IT WAS THE BEST THING I EVER DID

Some women have issues with complete hysterectomy due to the emotional tie of everything being final. Foe me... I was FREE!!!

I had none of the side effects I read about and I am SO glad I made the choice. I am on an HRT patch.

My life has been SO much better since my surgery.

I had the ablation done in 08....I regret doing it - but as the insurance didn't want to have such a drastic procedure (hysterectomy) done FIRST...to help me...I didn't have ONE period after the ablation - it was LOVELY - however, thanksgiving '10 - i had a period and thought I was in labor - back pains, urgh....

had the hysterectomy Feb 11 - OH MY WORD!! LOVE!! LOVE!! LOVE!!! my life!! No worries! No Problems!! YAHOO!!!

I had the procedure. Unfortunately I had it several times before it became obvious that it wasn't going to be effective for me.
It's certainly worth a try. Some women do really well with it.
My endometriosis came back with a vengeance after my son was born and I had a complete hysterectomy when he was 15 months old.
It changed my life for the better, for sure.

You've already had your tubes tied so wanting another child isn't an issue.
You may need to try the ablation to see if it's effective before doing something more drastic for insurance purposes.

Best wishes to you.

HI N.
I had this procedure done 2 days before thanksgiving 2010. I got out of hospital next day and still hosted Thanksgiving and went shopping on Black Friday. I over did it and was in pain. The procedure worked for me, at first.
I had a pelvic ultrasound in January because I was bleeding quite heavily AGAIN. My uterine lining was back and thick already. Dr. was shocked. Needless to say, hysterectomy time when kids go back to school. Wish I would have skipped this step......good luck.

I had the ablation done three years ago and I love it. I know a lady that has periods but I know several that do not. I had a very light period after the procedure and never had another one.

I had it done in 2007 for the same reasons, I was a heavy bleeder. The procedure was very easy. I had it done on Friday and was back to work on Monday. I no longer had any bleeding but did still have all the symptoms of PMS, but it wasn't bad. Just the cravings not the cramps. Just recently my periods have started again but they are light and not heavy like the were before. I would totally recommend it. But I was told by my doctor that each woman is different. The outcome can be anywhere from a lighter period to no period at all. Good luck and hope that everything works out for you.

1 / 3