RE: Endometrial Ablation

My gyn suggested I have the Novasure endometrial ablation procedure to help with menstrual difficulties. I would like to hear from anyone else who may have had this procedure or knows of this procedure. I have researched online and found both positive reviews and negative reviews. I know it is my decision to make, but I always like to hear different opinions.
Thank you

Hi everyone!
Thank you all so much for your responses. The procedure went well. Not much pain at all, just some cramps the first day and a little sore for the next few days. I am having my first period since the procedure now and so far it is very light and almost done!
Thanks again for all of your help!

I'm just seeing this now, so sorry for the belated response. I'm glad to hear you went ahead with the ablation. I don't think you will regret it.

I had it done about 4 years ago, and haven't had any bleeding since. It is so nice not to have to worry about it! My periods were so heavy before, and I wasn't able to go on the pill due to a previous blood clot. I went from misery to not even having to think about it. I do have some emotional variations and breast tenderness at the time of my period, but that's the only way I know I'm having a period.

I had the endrometrial abaltion about 2 yrs ago. I have always had mestrual problems. I had cyst on my overies and had endromestreosis. The first year was wonderful. I would only spot about every 3 month, now in the past 4 month I have had the cramping for about 2 days and 2 days of somewhat heavy bleeding. It's just like being on a regular monthly cycle again. I know that everything works different on each individual, but to me there is no difference now.

I had it after the birth of my third child 3 three years ago. I had extensive bleeding and pain every month and fibroids. Its been fantastic, I'd say it has changed my life. I no longer have a cycle which is great and all the problems with the plumbing are gone without the challenges of a hysterectomy. Its good to get opinions, I thought the video the ob-gyn showed me was too "happy" and didn't cover all the details.

I had this done in August of last year. I was having heavy periods and my doctor suggested it. As i had been disgnosed as being anemic, and all other tests came back a negative for iron loss, this was an option that I was willing to give a try. My sister had had the same procedure months before and was singing it's praises. I felt confident it would be a safe procedure and i totally trust my gyn. I had no period for 4 months, then when it came back, i wasn't, and still am not sure, i can call it a period. it usually lasts 1-2 days and a panty liner is all i need to get me through the cycle. Another great deal for me is that I don't bleed as profusely as before and more times than not, it is only light pink in color, hence my hesitation in calling it a period. If you trust your gyn and you feel comfortable, i would go for it. It is one of the best things i have ever done for myself.

I had this procedure about 5 years ago and sadly, I'm one of the ones who healed from it. My periods are pretty close to the way they were before the procedure. It seems the further away I get from the ablation, the more my cycles are the way they were when I was a teenager (before birth control pills). I don't take the Pill because my husband had a vasectomy, but I tell you, I'm getting tempted. They can't do another ablation, so my options are to get back on the pill or remove the uterus. :(

On a positive note, the procedure went very smoothly. I had some pretty serious cramping so you have to make sure the hospital staff stays on top of your pain. The worse part was when they held off on pain med because they didn't want to depress my breathing. Once I got over that hurdle, things went pretty much according to plan. I don't recall being "down" for very long. I have three kids, so I doubt I was in bed for more than a day or two.

Thank you so much for posting this!! I'm having the novasure technique done next week and the responses have been very reassuring. My doc said it was either this or partial hysterectomy. I'm trying this first. Good luck with yours!

I had this procedure and it was the best thing for me. I was on my way to the wonderful thought of hysterectomy and recovery. I was not ready for the time off of work, recovery, and the thought of my husband and kids running the show so shortly after I had knee reconstruction. You need to understand that you must be done with babies. My pain and crazy periods have stopped. I also fell in the lucky % that no longer have periods! This worked for me. I am not saying that I still won't need the other later on, but it worked. You will need about 2-3 days of down time due to the gas and the drainage after. Good Luck!

Kimberly

I know someone who had an endometrial abalation to help with her endometriosis. Years ago she had a laproscopy to laser off excess tissue that did help for a while.

She looked at the risks/benefits, and since she was done having kids and didn't want to risk screwing up her hormones with a hysterectomy she decided an ablation was the way to go.

However she ended up with an infection after the procedure. She knew there was a risk of infection but didn't think it would happen to her. She became very ill a couple days post-op and wound up in the hospital. Fortunately she responded very well to IV antibiotics, and hasn't had any problems since.

With hindsight she does wish she had chosen a doc who had more experience doing ablations.

I had my ablation done 5(?) years ago. It was the greatest thing I ever did. I had many problems and I was a bit leery about having it done, but went ahead with it. I was willing to do anything to get my 'problem' taken care of. What they do is put you under and laser out the lining of the uterus. Very short procedure. It was day surgery, not much pain. I never had any problems afterwards, and from what I've read some (like me) never have a period again. Your dr should have some info on this, that's where I got mine. If you have any other questions, you can email me at ____@____.com put mamasource in the subject so I don't delete it.

I had this done almost a year ago. I had to respond and tell you it has been great! I recommend having it done awake if your doctor does it in his/her office. It doesn't hurt any more than cramps. And for only a few seconds. I highly recommend this! H. l.

Be sure your uterus is not too enlarged for the procedure. I went in last November to have it done and when I woke up the doctor told me he couldn't do it because my uterus was too enlarged by a half a centimeter. While he was in there he removed a pollup. Needless to say, I was really upset because I went through all that and came out with nothing. Not to mention the copay. Now, I am scheduled to have a partial hystorectomy in May. I tried to get the doctor to to that first, but he said this would fix my problem (menstrual problems). Now, I have to pay another copay, get "poked" again, miss work again....etc. The only way to find out is to get your uterus measured. That is not a nice procedure either, but at least they can do that in the doctors office. Hope this helps!

1 / 3