Decongestant Under 2

My son (18 months) has picked up a cold at daycare. I guess it hits hard and fast. His nose won't stop running, but he can't breath through it. I can't get anyone to tell me if he can take a decongestent unless I talk to a pediatrician and there is none on shift at the after hours center I go to. Of course it's not a big enough deal to page the on call pediatrician. I was hoping to get some advice from some other moms.

1. Has anyone ever given their child under 2 a decongestent....if so what kind and how much?

2. Any other suggestions how to help him breath out his nose? I tried the nose sucker, but since his nose is actually running like mad, I am not getting anything.

Thanks.

My son has had many colds and we use Tylenol COld and Cough. It seems to work really well for him.

I have used the infant Tylenol Cold for my one year old, but that was before all of the warnings that came out about the ingredient pseudoephedrine. I would first try to look for a formula that does not use that ingredient. One person you could also ask would be a pharmacist. They would be able to tell you the correct dosage and might be able to give you some info on which medicine to give. Good luck!

There is an infant tylenol cold and cough he should be able to take, you can get it at walgreens, rainbow, cub etc...

Call your local pharmacy. We have Walgreens here and they are always happy to help me find the right medicine for my daughter.

Hi T.,

My pediatrician's office recommended a decongestant sparingly, only to help my son eat and sleep. They suggested 1/2 the dropper or .5 ml. I used Little Colds Multi-Symptom cold formula for infants and children when my son was 10 months. I also love the plug-in vaporizers--we've used Sudacare for kids. It's worked wonders to help our son breathe when sleeping! Good luck! :)

HI T.,
I have a 6 month old that has had 3 colds already. There isn't alot that we could do for her during the day, but at night we used a humidifier and vicks vapor rub. We also used a vapor fan. It is a new thing that plugs in and has a little night light. I believe vicks makes it. Hope that will help a little.

it really depends on how big your son is... as most medicines go by weight not age really... for my daughter i used the triametic thin strips for infants.. they are a little harder to find but the disolve on teh childs mouth and they can't spit it out.. so there is no "guessing" as to how much they actually got if the fight you trying to give it to them.. but the shower does work well also... if you can get ahold of your doctor try asking for a baby inhaler... they have little face masks that you can hold to the childs face and they breath in the inhaler and it opens them up rather than swallowing a decongestant... which as other people have stated is becoming more and more dangerous with parents over dosing their children... hope this helps... baby vicks is a good idea to..

I don't know about decongestant -- but saline spray can be used to help clean out the junk. It will get any crusties out of the way and help thin out the rest -- also can be used as often as needed. Also know that tissues with lotion...might not be a gift from god, but those good people at Puffs are remembered in my prayers.

HEllO, WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS SICK WITH A BAD COLD OUR DOCTOR SAID NOT TO GIVE HER A DECONGESTANT BEACAUSE HER SYSTEM IS NOT READY UNTIL AFTER SHE TURNS TWO, HOWEVER HE ALSO SAID TO RUN HOT BATH WATER IN THE TUB AND HAVE HER SIT NEXT TO IT SO THAT THE STEAM WILL HELP HER BREATHE BETTER. I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS

Hi T. - there have been numerous reports out lately about NOT giving anyone under the age of 2 over the counter cough and cold medicine. There have been some dangerous side effects associated with these medicines. I put my babies in the shower with me - it helps to loosen everything up even further and it is amazing what comes out. Using the saline spray before suctioning sometimes helps as well - truthfully I think that more of it goes down then comes out but nonetheless it gets things moving a bit. Warm apple juice (mixed down with water) is supposed to help keep everything moving as well. Hope some of this helps.

1 / 3