Advice on How to Unclog a Stuffy Nose

My 3 month old is pretty congested. I've been putting saline drops in her nose and giving her Triaminic thin strips decongestant. Is there anything else I can do so she can breath better?

I dont know if you breast feed but i use breast milk instead of or in conjuction with saline drops.... it works really well!

Hi there is some vapor rub for babies that you could use. You just put it on the babies back and chest but not on the face and that should help solve the problem.

My pediatrician told me meds don't really work on young babies. When my daughter had a cold I gave her warm baths with the vapor bath. That would get her nose running. Also elevating her mattress on one end.

I dont think a 3 month old should be taking a decongestant there are plenty of plug ins that you can use to help her nose unclog or a cool mist humidfier should do the trick the saline drops will keep it clean to prevent infection try the chest rubs also when my daughter was small i would place it on a night stand or near the bed opened so i wouldnt have to actually rub it on her.

I use a lot of organic products in my home and that helps with breathing in general. When my son is sick, I use a vaporizer in his room and I put melaleuca oil and solumel in it. Those are both natural ingredient products that I get from my online store. Those help open the breathing passages and it smells good.

A humidifier would probably help her considerably. If you don't have one, you can run a teapot - just warm enough to keep the steam going (with the spout lid open). Keep a close eye on it, though, if you do that, since if it runs out of water, it can ruin the pot. Also, have you asked a doctor about the decongestant? I saw on the news that cold remedies (decongestants, cough syrups) don't really work on kids and can be dangerous - toxic even - to them. Just suggesting that you check with your pediatrician about it. God bless - hope she gets better soon.

I would say put a cool-mist humidifier in her room, at night. Also, maybe try to elevate her head just a bit - when she's sleeping.

Use the bathroom, you can run the hot water so that it steams up the room. The steam should help to unclog the nose. I used it with my son & it worked pretty well. Hope it works.

Saline drops and then using a bulb syringe to suck out the congrestion is the best thing. I also rub some baby vapor rub on my daughter's neck and chest, but I think that is for 6 months and older. I was actually reading recently that decongestants are not proven effective for babies and can actually have bad effects, so I would ask your pediatrician before you use any of them. It is so hard when they are congested, especially if it makes it hard to nurse, but the cold will pass eventually. Good luck!

hi there, if you still have the bulb syringe from the hospital that helps out a bunch, if you don't have one they sell them at any pharmacy.

1 / 3