3 Month Old with Cold

I have a 3 month old who has a really bad cold. She has a cough and stuffy nose. I have tried the saline nose spray for the stuffy nose and it has not helped. I asked a pharamist today if she knew what I could give her and she said nothing but the saline drops with out talking to a physican. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. She has no fever with her symptoms.

Thank you everyone for your response. I took my little one into the doctor because they wanted to make sure she didn't have anything serious. Which she didn't thank god. But he did tell me to use nasal saline drops and a humidifier. He said not to suction out the snot and to watch her to make sure it doesn't develop to anything worse. We had already started with the humidifier at night. So thank you all for helping me out. Hope she will start getting better soon.

In addition to mist humidifiers she should always have a hat that covers her ears when you go out if it's chilly. She shouldn't be breathing cold air when she has a cough. Keep her out of drafts and keep her cozy.

You may want to invest in a battery operated nasal aspirator. It is better than the "bulb" for removing mucus from the nose. That is one of the things my pediatrician recommended, along with the semi-reclining position.

Hot steamy shower (just sit in the steamy bathroom) and infant, vicks, vapor rub on chest and bottom of feet

Something that would be completely safe and I know works is to use some essential oil drops in a cool mist humidifier. I bought one that is a synergistic blend of a few (lavender and eucalyptus were both in there, along with other things) and is called Breathe Easier. A few drops in the humidifier has done wonders with my two, who just have stuffy noses, but nothing else is wrong. I get the EO drops at the natural food/health store in town.

Saline and an aspirator/bulb syringe is the other thing, of course. I like to make my own saline (to 1 cup boiling water add 1/2 tsp. kosher or pickling salt and a pinch of baking soda) as it is cheaper and I swear works better. I spray that, let it settle, and aspirate! They HATE it, but it works. Then I put a few drops of the EO blend on a cloth and put it on my shoulder while I rock my littlest. I can hear her go from breathing through her mouth to breathing through her nose just as I rock her! Then I put her down with the humidifier with EO drops in the water. Breathing easier and wakes up with no sniffles.

The hot shower routine (steam up the bathroom with a hot shower, then take baby in and sit for 15 minutes and inhale) works well too.

All these things done combined can help for a good night's rest. A couple of people mentioned going to the doctor. That might be good just to make sure, but the doctor will probably tell you the same things (well, except the EO, maybe!).

Your pedi will want to at least check her out to be on the safe side so I'd make the appt. I agree with others in that a humidifier will work and also using the bulb syringe to suck out some of the mucus since she is too little to blow her nose yet. I put vicks vapor rub on my daughter's chest and bottom of feet (then put socks on) but check with her pedi to make sure this is ok since she's still little. Hope this helps. I know it's hard when your little one doesn't feel well...especially when they have to tough it out without meds. Good luck!

Well i dont know about you but all the doctor told me was to get infant cold medicine and give the smallest dorage. 0.3 ml. My son is 8 months and going through the same thing

Saline drops and a hurimidifier/ vaporizer in her room while she sleeps. We use the Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier in our sons room when he gets a stuffy nose and add the Vicks VapoSteam. It really seems to help him. He got his first cold around 6 months, it seemed to clear up pretty fast with the humidifier. Hope she's feeling better soon!

elevate the head of her bed a few inches (I put a pillow under the mattress) and use a vaporizer.

Go to People's Pharmacy. They have a great staff there. They can tell you what to give your baby. Ask for something natural or herbal. If you don't have a People's Pharmacy near by try a different pharmacist. My dad is a pharmacist and he tells people all the time what to get. He does not just tell them to see a physician.

1 / 3