What Do I Do for My 3 Year Old's Stuffy Nose???

Hi. Anyone else out there try to buy cold medicine this season for your toddler and finding that evertyhing has been taken off the market for cold medicine for kids under 6? I remember this happening this past year but forgot about it and my little girl has been battling a stuffy nose and cough that has been keeping her up at night so I thought I'd run out to the drugstore for some help and realized there are no medicines for this age group anymore.
Does anyone still use this cold medicine and adjust the dosage? I heard that is why they took it of because people were careless with it and weren't adjusting properly.
But the purpose of my request is really to find out what else to do for my daughter's stuffy nose. I have been treating with albuterol and pulmicort on her nebulizer machine because that usually opens her up. But it hasn't been helping. We run a humidifier in her bedroom at night and I take her into the bathroom after running the hot shower for a while but nothing seems to help. I called the pediatrician and they just said Delsym is the medicine I can use but that is only a cough medicine. I just sent hubby out for some saline spray and a new boogie sucker. Anyone else battling with these same symptoms right now? It wouldnt be so bad but she cant sleep with the stuffy nose so nighttime gets bad.

I have used medicines that say "ask doctor" for ages 4 and under. I give my daughter at the most a half dose. My daughter has allergies and we use the generic zyrtec and that works well. When she was real young the doctor also suggested saline spray. I know I use that myself and it helps.

I usually take my 3 year old in the warm/hot shower with me before bedtime. I make her blow her nose in the shower once her nose starts to run. We clear it out real good. I bath her in the J&J soap that smells like Vicks. Then, I rub her chest with the children's/infant version of Vicks rub. Lastly, I bought a vicks brand warm air vaporizer and I add the vicks liquid in it. The odors in the air, warm air, and vicks rub on her chest really help her sleep and breathe easily.

I use the saline spray a lot - daily in fact, just to keep her passages clear since she has allergies. Also, an antihistamine, like benedryl or zyrtec might help too.

Not only were people screwing up the dosage (who would GUESS about the amt. to give???!!!), but studies have shown that the deconfgestants, etc. are not effective on kids anyway. I know it's tough but definitely try some of these things:
1. Prop the head of her head/crib up with phone books or put a pillow under the mattress to encourage drainage
2. Keep running the humidifier
3. Vicks on the chest and on the soles of her feet with socks
4. Saline spray/drops
5. Chicken soup/broth whatever she'll take (Recently I heard it's actually the onions that have a decongestant effect so any other onion-y things too!)
6. Water, juice, freezer pops, slushies, LOTS of liquids will thin out the mucous.
7. Avoid a lot of milk & dairy, as I noticed this seems to thicken mucous
8. Tylenol if her throat is scratchy or if she has a fever
9. Plug in vapor things for night--get it going about an hour before she goes to bed
10. Warm bath before bed to help loosen up the nose!

Hang in there. Cuddle & indulge her. When my son is sick he can eat/drink/sleep whatever and whenever he wants! Isn't it sad to see them like that? Hope she's better soon!

They sell liquid stuff you can put in the humidifier, its like the vapor rub stuff. There are also vapor things you can plug into outlets & you can use vapor rub right on your kid. I've coated my son with the vapor rub & put stuff in his humidifier, it worked. Also we elevated one end of his crib (he's only 15 months old). You could try to elevate one end of her mattress.

Vicks vapor rub and a humidifier/vaporizer at night. Lots of extra fluids. Try some saline nasal spray like Little Noses and then have her blow.

I wouldn't think that the albuterol or pulmicort would help with nasal congestion. I could be wrong but I thought it was more for the swelling, inflamation and congestion in the lungs and airways leading to the lungs. I don't think it really gets into the sinuses to help much.

A family recipe that helps if she will drink it for you (most kids will) is an onion broth. Take the outer skin off of an onion, put it in a pot and fill it with water. Bring it to a boil and cook until the onion is soft all the way through (5-10 minutes). Let it cool and serve in a sippy cup with a little sugar to sweeten it.

If she won't drink that, try some old fashioned home made chicken soup. You can do chicken noodle or a recipe I found submitted by a family doctor to a parenting magazine. It is a chicken vegetable soup. In a big pot, cube up 1 large sweet potato, 3 medium carrots, 2 medium turnips, 2 medium parsnips, 1 large onion. Add 2-3 dark meat chicken quarters (bone and skin still on). Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are soft. Remove the chicken from the pot. Debone it and add chicken back in (as much as desired). Salt and pepper to taste.

The extra fluid and the onion helps to break up the congestion some.

Make sure she is sleeping at an angle so that her head is partially upright. This will help with drainage as well.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. I hope it is a short lasting cold.

Buy a product called Sudacare Advance. You plug this into the outlet and it put a vapor into the air that will open up the nasal passages. I worked for my daughter.

Have you tried propping her mattress up on one side? Slide a large phone book under the head end. also, warm broths seem to help my kids a little. If you do happen to have some children's cold medicine that hasn't expired weigh your daughter on a reliable scale, call the ped, ask for a proper dosage, and make sure you have an accurate measuring device.

I just went throug this with my 2year old. I used the Saline mist and the pedicare vapor plugs it worked great.

1 / 3