Anyone Good at Ironing Please Tell Me How!

Help! Whenever I try to iron something it almost looks worse than before I started. I'm trying to stay on budget and not pay to have things pressed. When I press one side the other side always wrinkles up; I usually get frustrated and end up burning myself or even scorching the garment. I'm ready to steal my Grandma's polyester pantsuits, LOL.

its really tough to explain in type. but look on you tube. I know there are tutorial videos on there.

I was going to answer, since when I was a 4-H member many years ago, we were taught how to iron systematically so that you ended up with no wrinkles. However, the other ladies have done so well I don't need to! You should become a champion at ironing if you read their advice.

Before you start to iron your garment you must place it on the ironing board, and smooth the garment out on the ironing board with your hand. Run your hand down the garment in its entirety checking for lumps, and bumps. If, and when you feel any you must straighten it out by finding the fold, and fixing it preferably from the seam of the item that you're ironing. Once the garment is smooth from front to back, and you don't feel any folds in the garment then you can begin to iron. Make sure that the iron has water in it to produce steam. That helps iron out the stubborn hard to iron wrinkles.

When ironing a shirt with a collar to it, you must open up the shirt to iron it out. If you're good enough to iron the shirt without opening it up then that's a plus.

The Internet is full of how-to videos. You can check out this clip on how to iron clothes from monkeysee.com: http://www.monkeysee.com/play/9288-how-to-iron-clothes

You might also check out YouTube.com or ehow.com for instructional videos on this topic. Good luck!

Most of the clothes in my family don't have to be ironed - I fold them as soon as the dryer turns off. If you can't get them right out of the dryer, spray the clothes lightly in the dryer with water, then dry for another 15 min. I do have to iron some clothes though - I just make sure both sides are smooth, or I put them on the end of the ironing board so I'm only ironing one side.

One thing you want to do is to make sure the iron isn't too hot. It should say on it where to turn the dial for different fabrics. This will help with the scorching. Also, just run the iron across the fabric without leaving it to sit on the fabric. Do you have an ironing board? This will really help if you have one. Make sure you lay the item out as flat as can be, wrapping shirts and other items of clothing around the ironing board, so you only have 1 layer of fabric at a time. Pants are a little tougher to do this way, but it's manageable. Just stay calm... I know once I get frustrated with something it becomes harder to accomplish because my frustration gets in the way. Ironing really isn't that bad, once you can get the hang of it. :) So take a deep breath and try again.

Do you have a good pad on your ironing board? Have you tried misting with water from a spray bottle? Read the label on the item to be ironed before setting the iron to a heat setting. Spray starch is good but tricky. It's ery hard to get a wrinkle out when starched in(apply a little water with your finger along the mistake). Practice on floursack dishtowels, handkerchiefs or pillowcases to get the hang of the weight of the iron and the differnt heat settings.

Mist it with water and throw it in the dryer for 5 minutes on high heat. If you get it right away, and it wasn't super wrinkled to begin with (like being left at the bottom of the laundry basket), the wrinkles will have relaxed themselves. Of course, you can only do this for stuff that won't shrink. (Guess who else isn't any good at ironing?)

I'm guessing that you're pressing down on the iron because the opposite wrinkles up. When you press down and forward you do create wrinkles. Just lightly hold the iron as you move it forward, side to side, and/or backward. First, be sure that the fabric is flat and smooth on both sides. However, most ironing is done to one piece of fabric at a time. The only time you'd have 2 sides or 2 pieces would be with sleeves and legs that don't fit over the end of the ironing board.

Open up the garment and lay it over the ironing board with the top of the garment at the narrow end of the board. Then start at the bottom and gently push the iron towards the top. Once that section is ironed move the garment to the next section, going all around the garment.

There is a routine to use depending on the garment. Start with shirts/blouses by first ironing the collar and sleeves. Then the body. Place the shoulders, one at a time, over the narrow end of the board to iron them. If the fabric is so wrinkled that you can't smooth it out by hand first then using a spray bottle with a fine spray or the spray from the iron spray the fabric before ironing. Most of today's fabrics iron nicely by just using a steam iron.

For pants, press the waist band and placket first and then the top part of the pants. I do this by placing the pants over the narrow end with the waistband towards the center of the board.

Press, with the point of the iron into pleats and gathers. Lightly press the top of a pleat, using just the point of the iron, once you've pressed the body of the garment.

I do have some cotton items that I sprinkle, roll up, put in a plastic bag and leave for a few hours before I iron them.

If you're talking about pressing something, such as wool or wool like fabric pants then you may want to use a pressing cloth (I use an old thin diaper) which you first make damp by wetting about 1/4 of the cloth, squeezing the water out while leaving it damp, folding it up with the wet part inside and squeezing once more so that the moisture is spread thruout the entire cloth. Then place that over the garment which you've placed on the ironing board and smoothed out with your hand making sure that both the top layer and the bottom layer are wrinkle free.

Pressing a tailored jacket is tricky. When I wore really nice wool suits I used a sleeve roll so that the sleeve didn't have a crease. Sometimes you can carefully do this without the sleeve roll by pressing from the seam outward being careful to not press a crease. The shoulder seams need to stay rounded on a tailored garment as do the top of the sleeves. A tailor's ham works best for those areas but again you can do it without one by carefully using only the point of the iron pressing a very small section at a time.

I seldom wear anything that I have to iron. In today's world lightly wrinkled over all the garment is acceptable. Some offices may be exceptions to the wrinkles OK style. I take my garments out of the dryer immediately while they still have some moisture in them. I can't actually feel the moisture. They just don't feel bone dry. I then hang them up and they're ready to wear. I do some finger pressing along plackets and collars.

my sister taught me to lightly spray the item with water or put a damp towel on top of item so I tried and it worked ok for me oh she also said to make sure you smooth out the item the best you can and do small areas at a time til you get the hang of it..goodluck:) oh and I am not from Chicago I am from Red Deer Alberta, Canada can't seem to change that in my profile lol..

1 / 3