Ironing Tips for My Husband's Pants

I have to be honest and say that I really don't know how to properly iron clothing, especially men's pants. My husband wears mostly 100% cotton pants to work-he really loves khaki tones too. I'm really trying to avoid paying to take them to the cleaners b/c I do have the time, but just not the expertise. I'm only lucky enough to have about 1-2 pairs of them come straight out of the dryer ready to wear. Is that my first problem?? My mom put almost everything in the dryer, so that's what I do too...low heat, but still in the dryer. Would it help at all to hang them to dry after they have been washed?? I hope no one is laughing out there...I'm very good at doing laundry, but ironing pants is a problem.
I have about 5 pairs of his pants...they are washed and dried and hanging in our bedroom right now. First thing...do I iron them inside out?? I've gotten white marks on them at times. Use starch, steam or both?? I just need some basic good tips on ironing these pants and some of them are more stiff naturally than others. Again, they are 100% cotton-Docker/Ralph Lauren type.
Thanks so much!!!

Have you tried using Faultless PREMIUM Professional Starch? I iron a dress shirt and/or a pair of dress pants for my husband daily, and I've had consistent good luck with this product. It's a little higher than regular spray starch, but it's worth it to avoid annoying starch flakes. Happy ironing!

I use a clothes line - but those hangers with the clips would work just as well. I match up the seams (creasing front and back) and hang upside down - one leg to each line (hanger). My husband wears cargo pants - like solid black military camo - they're stiff, perfectly creased.. all I have to do is touch up the pockets. And sometimes I don't do that.

I was laughing as I read your post, only because I could have written it myself!!! It is a very legitimate post and I applaud you for posting it and the others for their fantastic responses. I do want to add that my mom and dad both wear Docker-type pants and she has the timing of the dryer down to a science. SHE NEVER HAS TO IRON THEM!!! She pops them in the dryer on low for 10 min. (no more than 10) and pulls them out, "whips" them in the air (does that make sense?) then hangs them by the ankles from those clippy hangers. She never has to iron, unless she misses her 10 minute window of opportunity with the dryer. Good luck, and thanks for posting!!!

First thing Use your Steam Iron, Put the Top of the Pants on the ironing board ,Iron the top, then take the Pants and find each seam on the leg, Put the seams together, Put the pants long ways of the ironing board. Press the pants on top and on the second leg that is turned up. Turn them over and do the same ,legs together and seams togather,while holding them straight. Iron the same as you did the top before you turned them over.
Hope this helps you.
Maxine
M

1st suggstions- dry clean- lol
If you are getting marks- iron inside out and an old trick- pop them inthe freezer a bit before ironing - dont know what it does but my mother in law is an ironing freak and says it works
Everytime she visit I have clothes in the spare freezer-lol
And dont forget- spray starch and only distilled water in the iron

J., we are not laughing at you, but with you. I used to iron my husband's jeans but after we had our daughter, we were in such a small house, ironing in the living room I think, it freaked me out because the kid never really slept and I had this vision of the iron coming down on her even if I was uber careful to put it on the stove with the cord up. So the jeans started going to the cleaners.

I never learned to iron from being taught. My mother was a big believer in permanent press and we had very little that was 100% cotton growing up. My mother grew up on a farm so jeans were work clothes and ironing them totally foreign to her. I taught myself and never got very good at it.

My big contribution to the great advice you have gotten and the people I will call when I need ironing, lol, is to keep a spray bottle of water around the house. I am a big fan of getting the stuff out of the dryer immediately and I have a recliner that is rarely without at least a load of laundry smoothed out waiting to be hung or folded. But occasionally when the kids are involved with the laundry, the system fails. I also use this when I just want to shrink up the butt of my jeans. Spritz it and put it back in the dryer.

When they basically aren't wrinkled, all you really need to do is briefly run the iron over the pants to reinforce the crease. One of the ways to help you with the crease is to take them to the cleaners once or periodically to have a really good crease put in them. Then Helen Keller can pretty much keep up with it after that! Spray starch is also a fabulous thing.

And do follow the advice about cleaning your iron and make sure you always used distilled rather than tap water. And if the iron is really bad, I would chunk it and buy a new one, like $20 would be worth starting all over again and not letting it get gunky to begin with.

Hi J.. My hubby bought me one of those steamers from Bed Bath & Beyond (romantic, huh?). It is a Conair brand (way cheaper than the Tobi on TV). I love this thing!! Seriously, it is great. I keep it hung in my laundry room at all times. I wash my hubby's pants in Woolite (cold, delicate cycle) and then hang them dry. This, of course, leaves them nice and wrinkly so I have to steam them when they are dry. It is way easier and faster than ironing, and washing them in Woolite makes them less likely to fade or get worn out. Like your mom, my mom also put everything in the dryer. I started hanging most of my clothes to dry. They look newer longer. Good luck!

I'm not very good at ironing myself, but when I had an iron that cost $50, it was much easier. It was heavier and had a button you could press for steam, then the dog chewed the cord. Another thing I used to do to make it really easy is use downy wrinkle release instead of starch. It doesn't make the pants stiff, so if you like that you will want to stick with starch, but the wrinkle release makes the wrinkles iron out faster and won't leave the white marks. My problem with ironing is that I just want to do it fast, so these helped me accomplish that. Right now, we use the cleaners, or wear jeans!

A.
www.greenbabydiaperservice.com

My husband wears the same thing and very rarely do I take them to the cleaners. I wash and dry mine and then fold them along the front creases- (then mine sit on the dryer for a few days before I get to them). I iron on steam and use spray starch. (I have never ironed them inside out) As for the white marks- what I do is spray one whole leg at a time then let it sit for about 30 seconds- to kind of absorb. I keep a washcloth handy and lightly run it over the starch and that is what prevents the white marks. Im not a pro but my husband never complains. I also am very picky about my iron. I dont like the new up to date plastic ones. I have an old style, heavy duty metal iron. Bought recently at Lowes for 29.99. It really does make a difference to have the right kind of iron. Let me know if you have any other questions- good luck!

1 / 3