Advice on Cleaning Stove Top Burners

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the tough-to-remove stains off ceramic stove top burners? I have a really old gas stove that was here when we bought the house 8 years ago. It works fine, but the burners look awful and I have tried many things to try and get them to look better. Scrubbing and soaking gets the surface stuff off, but seems to do nothing for the stains.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thank you.

I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on my stove top stains. Works really good for a lot of things. I didn't like the dual sponge eraser. Target has their own brand and works just the same,less expensive.

you can make a paste of water and dishwasher soap and rub it in and leave for a while.

I just asked my cleaning lady what she does. We do horrible things to our stovetop, and somehow she manages to get them spotless. She looked at me like I'm stupid and said, "I use Easy Off. That's why I'm always asking you to buy more." Oh. Guess I should have figured that out, because I never use my oven and indeed, we do seem to go through a lot of Easy Off...

I’ve read lots of suggestions for you to try. But, no one has addressed the chemical issue. Most – if not all – of the products under your sink contain harmful chemicals. Not only can they make you itch, cause rashes, headaches and breathing problems, they can affect your brain.

Have you seen a video called The Toxic Brew? You can watch it here: www.theglobalsuccessteam.net/resources/wmv/toxic_Brew_dsl

On a recent CNN documentary, they talked about chemicals that are showing up in our bodies. Babies have as many as 200 chemicals in their bloodstream at birth.

There’s a non-toxic cleaner for every brand name product you use today. We’ve used them for over 3 years. Even though we didn’t have the serious problems, it made such a difference in our lives, we can never go back!

Non-toxic products are becoming more popular. But, be careful. Some of these products just barely meet the government’s standards, so they still contain harmful chemicals.

Bridget V has given you the best answer. See her business listing here: http://www.mamasource.com/business/1397928863933136897

You can try superfine or fine drywall screens you'll find them in the home improvement section at Walmart. You cut them to the size you need not a lot of pressure is needed. And they are really great for the toilet bowl rings you will have the best looking toilet bowl around. And its so easy.
W. H.

We have a white ceramic stovetop and whenever we cook there are these brown stains afterwards....Magic Erasers get alot off but not all. My sister suggested we used an stainless steel scrubbing pad..( Not a brillo pad ) These are silver looking we got ours at Target. It worked like a CHARM. they can scratch though so go gentle. Maybe use one of the pastes the other ladies suggested and then scrub.

Hi S.!

I had the same problem, too. Along with getting my burners clean, I also wanted to figure out a more eco-friendly method that was also cost effective. I did some research and found that many people suggested using baking soda and vinegar to clean the stovetop. Its gentle and safe for your household and the environment. I moisten the surface with water, sprinkle baking soda on generously and then pour on distilled white vinegar. It will bubble up like the volcano science projects we did as children and once the foaming action is gone, I'll scrub it clean with a green scour pad. If the burnt on grime is really bad, you may need to repeat this a couple of times, but in the end, it will take off every speck of burnt on grease from your stove. Good luck!

From Martha Stewart's Spring Cleaning 101: http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/web/pdfs/p...
Glass cooktops: These must be protected from scratching. Clean with a pad safe for nonstick coatings, and
dedicate it to only this use. Wipe up sugary spills while they are still warm. For burned-on food, use a razor blade
fitted into a plastic handle: Hold it at an angle of about thirty degrees, and carefully scrape with the full width of
the blade, not just a corner. Follow up with a dab of commercial cooktop cleaner on a dry paper towel, then wipe
off the cleaner with another dry towel. If pans with copper or aluminum bottoms discolor your cooktop (and they
might), switch to pans made of another material and use a cooktop cleaner recommended by the manufacturer;
with daily application of the cleaner, stains should gradually disappear.

1 / 3