How Do I Get Cooked on Grease off a Stove Without Using Harsh Chemicals

Hello I know you mamas probably know an answer to my question...
I am going to clean a stove with cooked on grease on it, but I don't want to use harsh chemicals, for example EasyOff or anything like that. Do you girls know of any "magic tricks"???

Thanks everyone for all your help!!! I was wondering where can I buy the MelaMagic stuff??? I will give some of these methods a try and I'll let you know which one works best. I am definitely interested in that MelaMagic stuff, so please tell me where can I buy it :)

Hi E.!

I too use MelaMagic from Melaleuca, I cautally use their whole cleaning line. I jsut inherited my husbands Great Grandmas vintage oven/stove and it had years of baked on grease. My MIL tried to clean it before we got it and it wouldnt come off. I then tried the MelaMagic, a little dul strentgh on a srubbie sponge and it came off! looks brand new! GOod luck!!

We had the same issues, and tried everything. The only thing that worked was the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I don't know what's in it, but it's the only only only thing that worked for us!

ammonia left in an oven all night will loosen up grease there. I usually use Simple Green on the stovetop.

Hi E.,

We had a mini grease fire in our oven once due to some spillage that hadn't been cleaned up and was caked at the bottom. It's great that you're thinking ahead, while also thinking carefully about the best way to clean (i.e., an effective method that is also least harmful to the environment and the health of your family).

What we subsequently used to clean was a combination of items, including:

>A LOT of elbow grease (a.k.a. repetitive arm strength)

>A non-abrasive scrubber (we picked up an orange plastic one at the regular grocery store, but I bet the natural food/home supply store has an even better one)

>Baking soda and vinegar (these work great for a wide variety of cleaning projects)

You might also turn on the oven for about 15 minutes at a low temperature before you start (to loosen up the items to be cleaned off the oven surface). On a side note, this is a great tactic for cleaning the microwave too: put a bowl of water in that oven for a minute before you clean and it will make the elbow work a lot easier.

Good luck -- I hope these tactics we used also work for you and your family.

here's a site that may be helpful for this and other things. www.tipnut.com i've gotten lots of helpful hints. good to see you're looking for alternative methods of cleaning.

I have switched to baking soda and vinegar for everything. Even things that are "eco-friendly" still say keep out of reach of children, so I have taken those out of my home. I especially try not to bring anything that smells really good or has a good color, because if my kids were to somehow get a hold of it, they would try to ear or drink it. It may take a little elbow grease, but you odn't have to worry about any residue coming into contact with food. Also, on flat surfaces, like glass cooktops, use a straight edge razor to get the gunk off. I also use the razor on granite, where there's water stains.

Hi E.!

Magic Eraser or a paste of baking soda and water. The cleaners with orange oil work well too.

if it's a removeable part ... I agree with the boiling water in the sink, it'll help loosen the grime. I also agree with Simple Green. That stuff kicks butt, it's also non-toxic and biodegradable. For this I'd suggest using it straight and not diluting it. But you will need to wipe the surface with a wet sponge or cloth first. Then put the simple green on, let sit for about 10 minutes or so... and it should wipe off pretty easily. Simple Green does have a strong smell ... but it's not toxic.

Make a paste of baking soda and water and leave it on the stove or on the spots in the oven overnight. Try to keep it off the element. I didn't even need elbow grease. It wiped off like magic. It did need rinsing, though.

1 / 3