How to Get That Black, Burned on Stuff off of the Stove Top.

My hands hurt, and my nails are destroyed, and I'm finally throwing in the towel (or the sponge) and begging for suggestions! I've tried numerous cleaners (Clorox Clean-up, 409, Holy Cow, etc). I've tried Magic Erasers. Nothing seems to totally get rid of that black "stuff" around the burners on my stove top. Does anyone have any "tricks" to cleaning their stove? Or is there a product that you would swear by?

Oh, and if you are wondering why I just don't wipe up the mess as soon as it's made, my husband does the cooking. He's an excellent cook but not such a great housekeeper. :)

It's been a long time since my original question, but I did want to let everyone know what happened. I ended up trying Bar Keepers Friend because it was easy to find and inexpensive. I was very surprised and impressed with how well it worked. I made a paste with it and let it sit a couple minutes, and all the black stuff came off! Yes, it did take a little scrubbing still, but it took a lot less scrubbing than the other methods I had tried, with much better results. I think I have a new favorite cleaning product. Thanks to everyone for your responses and advice!

Oxyclean!!! Miracle stuff! Follow up when clean with a fireplace glass cleaner. That will make it easier to clean the next time. Good luck!

Barkeeper's friend. Its a powder kind of like comet cleaner. It's for stainless steel but works great on my sinks and stove as well.

Dawn Power Dissolve. Spray and let sit for a while (10-15 mins) and then scrub a little. It usually comes off much easier after that.

A..

I had the same problem on the one burner that gets used the most ... I thought I'd never get it clean. But someone recommended Bar Keeper's Friend and it worked great! Good luck!

hahaha I have the same issue with my husband!! uhhh especially when he makes his spaghetti!! What I do is soak my stuff in Hot Hot water with dish soap for about an hour and put on my kitchen gloves and use Steel Wool that is made for cleaning porcelin (sp?) You can get it anywhere, Ace, Walmart even its about 3 bucks a bag. Very little elbow power is needed and it does not scratch I swear!! I have told many friends this and now they all do it too. I personally use the FINE #0 but I have also used the COURSE #3 before and both work great. Hope this helps.

I usually just place a hot, wet towel on the spot and wiat for it to work its magic. It makes it a little easier to get it off. Also, you can try spraying a little Easy Off on a sponge and let that sit on the spot for an hour or so. NEVER spray easy off straight on the stove top. And don't use all over the stove top all the time because it can eventually eat away at the finish. my sister's mother-in-law would always clean the top with Easy Off and eventually ruined the top. But once in a while for super tough spots is not a problem.

Plain ole baking soda works wonders and you don't have to wear yourself down doing it. When I first used it I was amazed, the gook came off so easily and you aren't inhaling all those harmful chemicals.

T., I use Scour Off Heavy duty paste by Shaklee to get that junk off my stove. You have to get it from a Shaklee distributor, but it is totally worth it. I also use it for baked on crud on pots and pans. If you need a distributor for Shaklee I can give you my girls name.

My brother is the same way. I went to visit him and his stove top was gross! If your stove is like his, the built up stuff is in the groove around the burner area. I sprinkled baking soda into the groove, then poured vinegar over it to cover. Beware, it smells terrible and is a type of gas. So keep the kids away when doing this. Let it bubble then use the hottest water scrub it. The acid in the vinegar and the natural scrubbing of the baking soda should loosen all the black and it will come up. I had to do this 5 times at my brothers before it was clean. Once you've got it clean, just use the baking soda and a damp sponge for little clean ups then rinse. This is a natural cleaner.

A..

1 / 3