A Clean, Sparkling Cooktop--Is That Possible?

I so want my appliances to look new again. My stove and oven door, especially the areas around the knobs, and even my microwave door, have this ever-present layer of some kind of grease. It just doesn't come off with regular cleaning. And I don't want to try every product in the store to find the right one.

What do you mamas use for cleaning these greasy areas of the kitchen? Have you found something that really works? Is it even possible to have things looking like new again?

My mom used baking soda on mine while she was babysitting the other day and I noticed it immediately when I walked in. I couldn't believe how great my oven & microwave looked and asked her what she used. Plain ol' baking soda....who knew....

My appliances are stainless and black. I have found that Fantastic works wonders! It doesnt scratch, takes off grease and leaves everything shiny.

For stainless steel (or just about anything, really) use Bon Ami. It's just like comet except that it doesn't scratch... and it erradicates all grease that isn't brown/burnt on grease. For burnt on grease you either need alcohol + heat (see below), or a special super toxic chemical I can't remember the name of. It's similar to liquid plumber.

For regular cleanup, however, I just use Clorox Greenworks.

Ditto... the knobs of every stove I've used pull off.

For microwavs (or burnt on grease)... it's time to sacrifice the booze. Alcohol breaks down grease. What to do is to zap a small bowl with gin/vodka or everclear (if it's legal in your state, it's the best since it's almost pure) until it's about 1/2 empty and then scrub scrub scrub. Be careful not to breath the fumes. This also works on baking dishes and pots and pans. The alcohol has to be boiling hot, so you either have to have them on the burner or in the oven. Again... be careful not to breathe the fumes (or you get very very drunk). This process (using alcohol) is called "deglazing", it's a common cooking technique that is underutilized in cleaning. Instead of soaking overnight after baking/broiling I just deglaze it instead.

Hi N.,

I use a natural product called Melamagic. It contains a natural solvent and it cuts through the grease and leaves things sparkling. It's primary ingredient is high grade tea tree oil. Tea tree oil itself can clean but most brands on the market are not a high enough grade to keep from taking the finish off. If you're interested I can get you some more information on it.

Barkeeper's Friend or Bon Ami scouring powders both guaranteed not to scratch but polish everything well. Gets burnt/ stuck on brown/black stuff off your cooktop - I've used it on stainless and white enamel & my mom has a halogen glass cooktop - she swears by the stuff. Also Great for getting the cloudy residue out of your pots & pans after you burn rice or beans - maybe I'm the only one that needs that!
An orange oil based degreaser works well for tile & countertops and smells nice - some brands are safe for your cabinets too.
Pull the stove/oven knobs off and run 'em through the dishwasher to get gunk off. Run the screens from you exhaust fan through the dishwasher too instead of replacing them - I also put the plastic cover from the hood light in on the top rack. put a little extra detergent and run on pots & pans setting - Voila!

Plain old Windex cleans stainless steel with no streaks - but you must get REAL Windex - the generic stuff doesn't work as well. Use an old cotton tea towel - not terry cloth or paper towels or a ChamWow! for no lint.
Also - plain white vinegar and table salt mixed into a paste will scrub almost anything safely - use a non-scratch scrubbing pad like Scotch Brite soaked in HOT water. The mixture is a little stinky when it hits metal to me but I've even used it to polish a copper teapot with excellent results.

tough and tender from Melaleuca works great and is safe for the environment and your family... you can use that stuff on all kinds of things.. I absolutely love it!!! My stainless steel and appliances always are sparkly after I use that stuff on them.

I love Lysol Kitchen and Bath for grease, as well as Dr. Bronner's All In One Soap. Both work awesome with a sponge and some hot water!

Magic Erasers! Wet them, wring them out and go. I do not know what they are made of but they have a microdermabrasion effect and cut through the crud. Just make sure your cooktop is completely cool. Other than that, I use Clorox clean-up wipes on everything - so easy and good on anything greasy.

Please be careful using any combination of alchohol and heat. Alchohol is highly flammable.

1 / 3