6 Year Old with Scaly Patch on His Head

My 6 year old son has had some form of a scaly patch on his head since when he was born , then they called it cradle cap. Well now he is 6 and he still has a large patch under his hair. I keep forgetting to mention it to a pediatrician. Since my son is so healthy < I barely ever take him to a doctor. If I try to remove( wet or dry) it, all his hair comes off and he would have a large bald spot. Anybody have any tips on how to get rid of this or what it really is ? Thanks, V.

Thanks for all the caring advice! It was just the kick in the butt I needed to not ignore this any longer. I decided to try the natural methods. Maybe first the olive oil. When I looked at my son's head last night to my surprise it looked a lot smaller! I wonder if it could have anything to do with stress? First grade has been really tough... and a divorce on top of that. But I'm still going to make sure I will not overlook this any longer . Thanks to all.

We had a similar thing - my son is 6 also. We used baby oil and a soft toothbrush to rub it in then use a comb to take out the pieces. Good luck!

My son is 7 and he also has had the scaly patch on his head on and off for years. All you have to do is warm a little bit of oil and rub it on. It will come off. I am also a single mom of two kids and yes they are so worth it!!

Try a shampoo like Neutrogena. It could be just very dry skin (which my son has always had) or some kind of psoriasis or dermatitis.

My kids get that whenever they eat apples. (My brother had the same thing and it was figured out with him) I watch what they eat and give them very little amounts...if it acts up then no apples (in food or juice form...not even added into foods). Then it goes away. Need to look at what he eats. Maybe see about getting him tested. Good luck!

I would take him to a dermitologist so you will know and won't have to worry about it. You don't want to spend so much time worring there is so many more wonderful things to do in this world. It takes a phone call and a refurrel. good luck. M. R.

Your Pediatrician should refer you to a Pediatric Dermatologist.
Gosh, that 's a long time for him to have this ailment.

What has the Pediatrician said about it? A diagnosis should be made.

ALso, is the patch in a round/circular shape and flaky or anything? It could be a fungus growth too.
But again, you need a proper diagnosis of this... since it has gone of for years, literally.

Take care,
Susan

If it appears his hair will come off with the cradle cap then, I agree with Susan...I would call your son's Pedi and ask for a referal asap.

There are tons of remedies out there olive oil, baby oil and Gentle Naturals has a product I've heard works pretty well.

http://www.gentlenaturals.com/products/cradle_cap.cfm

But, definitely see a dermatologist so as to not remove or irritate the area.

I just wanted to let you know that a friend of mine has the same problem. She started using a product line called Nature's Baby Organics and it didn't seem that long at all before it was gone. I would try that before you start spending alot of money on prescriptions. I happen to use their Moisturizer on my own face.

L Faison

I am also in Susan's camp. Call the pediatrician immediately and get a referral to a dermatologist.
I have four children and have had some experience with something similar. For cradle cap, Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo works great - even on children. It's what my pedi recommended and works for other skin type issues.
However, since he's had it for years and his hair falls out it could be be eczema or Alopecia. My 16 year old has had Alopecia Areata since he was 11 months old. His hair fell out and never returned. The only one to help us with a real diagnosis was a dermatologist. Alopecia has been known to begin from eczema. Not to alarm you but since it's been on-going for years it should be checked out.
Tell me how it goes. I'd be glad to help anyway that I can.

Try the natural remedies first - someone mentioned Jojoba Oil, which can be purchased at Whole Foods or I believe Trader Joes - make sure it is 100% jojoba oil. Also try coconut oil - it moisturizes and heals. I've used it on rashes, burns, all kinds of things.

Do not use dandruff shampoo - it is full of yucky toxic stuff - it could actually exacerbate his condition. I would try a more natural approach there as well, such as a tea tree oil shampoo - but don't forget to check the ingredients on that as well, since we all know now that even though the packaging says "natural" it isn't always completely true!

If that doesn't seem to help, do visit his doctor or if you are concerned about stuff your doc may prescribe, try a Naturopath. Good luck to you and your son!

1 / 3