Baby Has Dry Scalp

Our 2 1/2 month old has dry scalp in a couple of places on top of his head (not cradle cap according to doctor). Our doctor recommended using baby oil, leaving it on for 5 minutes, and then gently brushing. Unfortunately our baby had a reaction to the baby oil and it made it worse (I should have known it would happen since he got a rash from all of the other Johnson & Johnson products!). I'm wondering if anyone out there has something they would recommend for a very sensitive skinned baby to help moisturize his dry scalp. Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I've tried the olive oil for two days now and it seems to be working quite well!! :O)

Hi C., I have been a postpartum doula for the past 7 years and have come across this many times. The thing that works the best of olive oil. I know that sounds crazy, but it works. You can leave a little on all the time, but you can also try and gently brush the dry scalp off. Try it for a while, I think it will help.

My baby also has this problem. I have tried everything and the only thing that seems to work is chamomile. You boil the little flowers, let it cool and with a cotton ball you can pass it over the dry areas, it should help. Let me know if it works...

My son also had a dry scalp and it really helped to change his shampoo. have you tried the baby oil gel?

Hello C.,

Baby Oil in general is not good for the skin. In fact my Mom just had a reaction from Baby Oil last week. Her skin was so dry that she decided to put Baby Oil on it and within hours she has a rash. Thank goodness she only put it on her arms!

My suggestion would be to use Kukui Nut Oil. Got my Mom to use it and with a day or two her skin was great.

Kukui Nut Oil is a fabulous moisturizer, and quickly penetrates the skin leaving a silky-smooth non-greasy feeling. It is often used for dry or damaged skin, immediately relieving symptoms because of its quick absorption into the skin. It can leave even the roughest and driest skin feeling smooth, soft, and hydrated. Kukui Nut Oil contains Vitamins A, C, and E, providing anti-oxidants that help to protect the skin. This unique oil is able to penetrate into the deepest skin layers, while creating a protective shield that locks in moisture. Kukui Nut Oil is great for those with sensitive skin, and is a wonderful ingredient to add to your bodycare products. Specifically, it is beneficial for the following conditions:

Burns – including: sunburn, windburn, radiation burns, and heat induced burns.
Eczema
Chapped skin
Psoriasis
Mature and prematurely aged skin
Dry skin conditions
Acne
Scars
Lesions
Dry hair and scalp
Usage Instructions
Kukui Nut Oil is an excellent oil to add to your bodycare products, especially your creams, lotions, and massage oils. You can also use it for an oil treatment on dry hair and scalp, or add a few drops to your bath water for a luxurious treat.

If this is something you are interested me please send me a personal message and I can tell you how to purchase some Kukui Nut Oil.

Good Luck,

Our 11 mo old has had dry skin and scalp since birth. We tried a little extra-virgin olive oil...that worked, but I found it a bit messy to wash out. So instead we tried using a little conditioner...that worked! For her hair and body, we use Baby Aquaphor Gentle Wash by Eucerin. She still tends to have dry skin sowe still use the J&J Extra-sensitive, fragrance free moisturizing lotion after baths. On extra dry patches, we use a little Aquaphor ointment.

Both of my sons had very bad cradle cap which Im thinking is very similar to a dry scalp. My Dr recomended we use a dandruff shampoo. It worked great for the cradle cap you may want to give it a try. The only thing is that you need to be carefull not to get it in there eyes because of course it's not tear free. Good luck!

Plain old olive oil, or coconut oil from your kitchen should be fine!

Olive oil works great! Do what you would do with the baby oil...leave for 5 minutes that gentle rub off with a warm wet rag.

Hello! Arbonne has the most wonderful baby line and the oil (NOT baby oil - that stuff is HORRIBLE) is fantastic for cradle cap and dry scalp too. I used to sell it and I dont anymore, but I can help you find someone who does. Try it -I promise you will love it!

Our 2 mo. old had that for a couple of weeks. She was born w/ a full head of hair so I didn't want to put anything oily in her hair. I just bathed her every other day in water. Every other bath I used a tiny dab of California baby shampoo. It's almost gone now. I think the key is to use as few "products" as you can. Good luck!!

Dear C.,
Try using Coconut oil--- it's natural and doesn't have any mineral oil products in it, which will clog the pores. Any natural oil will do better and is cheaper!

1 / 3