Scaly, Cradlecap-like Scalp on 3 Yr Old

My 3 yr old daughter used to have one spot on her scalp that was cradlecap-like. I thought it went away, but recently I've been noticing her whole top part of her scalp is scaly and kinda chunky to wear if you brush it with a comb instead of a brush the teeth of the comb get caught on parts of her skin. Her hair is also thinnish and doesn't grow very fast. If I accidently or purposefully peel a chunk of skin off her scalp it takes a very small clump of hair with it. It's kinda disturbing and it worries me that she has it. I don't want her hair to fall out and I want her scalp to be healthy so her hair can grow as normal. Are there creams or shampoos I can use? Has anyone else had this problem?

I put baby oil on it twice and left it on right before her bath. And it all flaked off and I'm actually able to comb through her hair for the first time without catching on anything!!!!!!! Thanks to everyone!

My daughter's scalp is the same way and she is 2 and a couple of months, my pediatrician told me to take johnson baby shampoo and massage it into her scalp and then take a baby brush, the soft one with the fine brissels, and brush her hair out with the shampoo still in it and let it set for a couple of min. It seems to be working for me

Try Neutragena body oil. Massage her scalp with a small amount for a few minutes then wash her hair as usual. I have used this to get rid of dandruff and it might work for cradle cap. If it doesn't work,try castor oil. Castor oil will improve circulation.

It sounds like she has some form of tinea, take her to the pediatrician and have him look at it. He can give you some medication for it and it will clear up in no time.

Sounds like it could be a fungus. My daughter had one when she was small and still has a bald spot. (She's 26 and able to hide it, but it's there.) Better check with a doctor. It could be a reaction to the shampoo or some sort of other allergy, but you don't want it to get away from you.

S. B.

My Daughter, now 22,had the same problem. Her hair was sparce and she too, had the scaly type cradle cap. Don't try to peel it off! Instead,15-20 minutes before her evening bath saturate a cotton ball with baby oil. You can use Olive oil as well, but I preferred baby oil. Just before her bath, comb though her hair slightly loosening crust. Bathe her as usual, washing her hair throughly,and rinsing well. Usually several treatments like this rid my daughter of this condition. Contrary to popular belief it is not caused by dry scalp. But by an overproduction of oil. The crust is the build up of this oil. Don't use conditioner, as this only makes matters worse.
Hope this helps. BTW Jaylen's hair grew in THICK and the cradle cap was gone by the time she was 4.
R.

I agree w/ Sarah H and others who recommend using nutritional solutions and probiotics as a baseline. There is no way this could harm your daughter (or anyone else) and helps general health enough to be worth it even if this isn't psoriasis. A dermatologist is also a good option. Any autoimmune disorder will not respond to surface treatments, and this could easily be an autoimmune problem. I will pray for your family that this is something simple and easy. In the meantime, see a dermatologist and make sure.
You can find superior nutritional products and Optiflora ____@____.com if interested.

My son had this when he was little. I simply soaked his little scalp with baby oil for about 10 - 15 minutes then would shampoo the baby oil out. The problem soon went away. I wish you luck with this! It worked really well for us.

My son has the same problem. He also has pretty severe eczema. Our pediatrician called out nizoral for him. I think you can buy it over the counter now. You can only use it every third shampoo. Of course, I would call and check with the dr.

My 3 year old daughter has this. She's been seeing Dr. Stites in Ft Smith (dermatologist) for the last year, he diagnosed her with psoriasis. There are topical treatments that can help, we're still trying a variety of things.

The thing about psoriasis, is that it is an auto-immune disease, so although you SEE the results on the skin, that's just a symptom. The actual problem is usually in the gut, where many/most immune issues are rooted. We're just getting ready to start on a regimen for a couple months that will be a strict food-sensitivity alkaline diet, and coupling it with fish and flax oil and probiotics to recolonize her gut with beneficial bacteria.

I hope you find help!

(speaking of- I'm also a 26yo mama with a 3yo daughter and a 1yo son, if you're local we should set up a playdate!)

I worked at a pediatrician's office for several years and this is what we told our patients to try. Saturate area with baby oil and let it sit for five minutes before bath time. Then wash hair twice, scrub scaly area using a soft bristle baby brush (it will not hurt). If that doesn't work, try Selsum Blue. Also, make sure to try a conditioner made especially for children (Johnson & Johnson has several to choose from). If this still doesn't work (which it did most of the time), call a nurse at your pediatrician's office and ask if they can call something in to your pharmacy. Make sure to explain exactly what it looks like because it may be more than cradle cap. It could be psorriasis. Good luck and God Bless.

1 / 3