Need a New Will and Advanced Directive

Updated on February 24, 2009
F.M. asks from Portland, OR
6 answers

As my divorce becomes final, I need a new will and advanced directive. I have limited financial means, but recognize that this is an important thing to do as soon as possible. Any recommendations for how I should do this or for an attorney who specializes in these areas near the Portland area?


What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Portland on

Doing it yourself with online resources vs. using an attorney is highly dependent on the complexity of your situation and financial assets. If you find you need an attorney, I can provide an exceptional reference for an attorney who specializes in this area. Good luck and let me know if you want to attorney's info - just send me a personal note via this site.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Portland on

F. -
I am happy to help you on your estate planning documents. My web-site is, you can reach me by phone at ###-###-####, or e-mail at

I look forward to hear from you.


1 mom found this helpful


answers from Portland on


I like your positive attitude while going through such a hard time. Kudos to you for keeping a good outlook on life.

Secondly, I would take a look at the options you have with those will forms at Office Depot or one of those stores before consulting an attorney.

You don't want to spend too much money on what can be "just paperwork" issues. I used to be a paralegal and I have to re-do my will also as I had another baby last year. What I am going to do is modify my last will to include anything I think is important, delete the rest (those investments that we cancelled) and get it notarized by someone that i know in the legal dept at my husbands work.

this is not legal advice by all means, so if you feel more comfortable going to an attorney, I would look for someone close that you know that is an attorney or knows of a good one, rather than being referred to someone. You never know what your experience may be with them.

Best wishes,

Kim B.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Portland on

I can e-mail you a copy of mine if you would like. You don't need a lawyer, you can just fill in the blanks & have two witnesses sign.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Portland on

You can buy computer software (like you would buy turbo tax to do your own taxes) and do it yourself.



answers from Portland on

You can do both yourself and pay very little.

There are several web sites that offer help in making a will. I think you can do it online.
I'm going to use one of them. I need to stop procrastinating.

I found both the form and instructions for an advanced directive in the lobby of Providence Hospital on Glisan. It's possible that all hospitals will provide these. Your doctor can also give you the form including the instructions on how to fill it out.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions