Can Mental Health Request Through Husband's Company Affect Him at Work?

Updated on August 16, 2010
A.T. asks from Beaverton, OR
5 answers

Hi Moms,

I would like to seek counseling of some kind because I have a husband with a short temper. When I called the insurance they don't handle this type of request and told me I have to go through my husband's company and gave me the phone number to the company's help line. My concern is if I explain my situation it can somehow reach my husband at work and affect his job/career. Does anyone know if an mental health request related to my husband affect his career at work?

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Syracuse on

Do reaserch on the type of counseling you are looking for. You may have affordable options available to you that don't require the employer getting involved.

Is he a Vet? The VA offers much in the way of Mental Health therapy. Plus, check your insurance benefit booklets to see what is covered mental health-wise. If they don't cover it, and the employer offers other options, just ask HR for a full run of all benefit books and coverages available. You don't necessarrly have to tell them what you're looking for.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

He should, I say SHOULD be privacy protected but you know as well as I do that HR/benefits dept will see that request come through.

They see EVERYTHING, EVERYTIME you go to the Dr. for watever reason.

If I were in your situation, I would seek out counsel and private pay to guarantee privacy. I know with HIPPA and all you are supposed to be protected, however, do you really trust them? Not me.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Las Vegas on

Do I understand it correctly that you have to call up your husband's company to have them give you a referral to a psychiatrist, psychologist or some kind of professional counselor for counseling? If so, when you call up to obtain the referral, just lie about the reason why you feel you need counseling and be vague about it as well. Say something like you are having a hard time coming to terms with a past trauma and are experiencing some anxiety or depression because of that. If they don't ask for an explanation, all the better. Keep things as simple and vague as possible. I don't normally advocate lying but since you are calling your husband's employer, although your request shouldn't affect his employment with them, it might. People talk and although mental health care professional are bound by the HIPPA laws of confidentiality, ordinary people at a company who answer the phones and make referrals are not.

Good for you for going to get some counseling. I know it's hard to be in a relationship with someone with a trigger temper. It will definitely help you sort somethings out for yourself but I do hope that your husband obtain some counseling as well since it will help him better understand why he gets mad some quickly and teach him some skills that will help him not be so reactive.

Wishing you all the best.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Pittsburgh on

In most cases there are strict privacy regulations around that and your husband can't be affected by it.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

No, it can't. HIPPA laws prevent the employer from any medical records. If his short temper gets him in trouble AT work, then yes it can affect him. If he goes through treatment, then no, it can't. Mental/psychological issues are protected.

1 mom found this helpful
For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions