Yeast Infection

I just got back from the pediatricians and she said my 10 month old daughter has a yeast infection. She prescribed some cream to get rid of it. Has anyone else dealt with this? I can't believe she got an infection. Does anyone have any information on this? I feel like a horrible parent and feel like this is something I caused. Any information will be very much appreciated!

I want to thank everyone for their feedback. She had been on antibiotics for an ear infection about 3 weeks before she got the yeast infection. I'm using the cream the pediatrician prescribed and it's clearing up nicely. We all know that moms are good at beating themselves up! I'm so happy that I joined Mamasource. Thanks for making me realize I'm not the only one going through these things...

My DD had this growing up all the time! finally we found out it was from her Bubble Baths, after the DR. told us we didnt use any bubble's and she didnt have them anymore! I hope this helps you!

My brother's daughter gets them now and then. They use the recommended cream. They felt bad at first too but the doctor told them it was not uncommon at all and not to take it personal.

First off DON'T feel like a horrible parent because she got a yeast infection. It is one of those things that just happens. My daughter gets one every time she cuts a tooth (that's miserable for all of us trust me!) and it's one of those things that as long as you treat it she'll be fine I promise!

Also I would advise using the pampers swaddlers until the infection is gone because of the way it's lined it's the only one my baby could wear with the rash so it kept the mess off her sensitive skin. if you have more questions just e-mail me I'd be happy to help where I can ____@____.com

First of all you are not a bad parent. Growing up I was prone to yeast infections myself. Hopefully the cream they gave her is kicking in. Some natural methods you and anyone can do to prevent these infections are loosen her bottoms (make sure there not too clingy), yogurt is a great food to eat as a prevention or soother, also garlic helps a lot (i cook with it almost daily now, but she may be a little young),

Yeast infections are caused by high yeast levels, stress, sudden change in routine, irritation, and an affect when you get a cold sometimes.

I hope this information helps. I see you got many great responses as well :)

Remember, this is generally not caused by anything you did.

By the time I am writing, it looks like you have got some very good advice already. I will second the babyophilus or any recommended form of "Acidophilus" for a baby. When you are pregnant you produce a larger amount of the yeast as well and that may even be how your baby has it. But everyone is right, you are not a horrible mother and it isn't a big deal! If you are still breast feeding, I would even suggest you taking Acidophilus as well and it will get into your baby that way through the milk. I would also agree with going to Vitamin Cottage. They usually have very helpful people there that can lead you to the right stuff. If you get it in a capsule, you can also make a paste out of it by opening the capsule and adding a little bit of water to the powder. Then you can apply it directly if it is a rash on the skin. I had to do that when I had first given birth to my oldest daughter and I ended up with a rash all over my body from the excess yeast. It helped very quickly and eventually went away. Good luck and again, don't worry! Your a great mom I'm sure, just because you are seeking advice to do what is best for your baby!

Ack! I told you the wrong thing, you should definitely not do that. Go to this website, this will have tons of information, and good luck. http://alternative-medicine-and-health.com/conditions/can...

You didn't cause it, and it's super common, so don't worry about that. Humans have bacteria in their bodies all the time, and sometimes the bacteria get a bit out of control and the result is yeast infections, etc. It's nothing you did! If you are nursing and you have a yeast infection, it can be passed, but again, they are fairly common anyway. With the right treatment, it will go away quickly. :)

You can get a prescription (usually Nystatin) which you probably got from your child's doctor, or you can get Lotrimin 1% ointment at any drug store and use that as well. ALWAYS check with the pediatrician before using ANYTHING on a child.

You can tell it's yeast because at the edges of the red areas there are small red dots that are flat - and when you use diaper cream, it doesn't go away.

Any time our little ones get sick or have a health issue, we blame ourselves and feel terrible. Know that it's not your fault, and that you did the best by your daughter by taking her to the doctor and are treating it. Yeah Mom! Hang in there!

Haven't read any of the other responses, but you are NOT a bad parent - at least not for this! There are some things you can do to help avoid, but some people are just prone to them (I get them constantly and it's nearly impossible not to share with an infant).

Cut out white foods - white bread, sugar, starches like rice and potatoes. If you're breastfeeding, cut them out of your own diet. If your daughter is on solids, keep those foods and types of foods away from her.

Also, make sure to get some good acidopholus in both of your diets. Yogurt has it naturally, or you can get it in powder form for babies from the health food store. You just mix a tiny bit in her bottles or baby food every day. It helps keep the good bacteria going in her intestines. Not a bad thing for you too though.

Do you use bubble bath when she takes a bath? Most baby products and bubble bath contain ingredients that are really very harmful to children. Yeast infections are a common problem from using bubble bath. Check the labels for ingredients such as propylene glycol and sodium laurel sulfate -- just two of MANY harmful ingredients in personal care products.
S. Robinson
www.1000moms1000dollars.com/S.

G.,

There is nothing "dirty" about a yeast infection. Every girl naturally has a balance of yeast and good bacteria in her vagina. They compete for nutrients, and occasionally the yeast gets out of control. It is not a sexual disease, and it doesn't mean that you did anything wrong. It just happens. In babies, it can also occur in the mouth, and then doctors call it Thrush.

I would recommend using the cream to get rid of the current infection. In the future, there are things you can do to help reduce the chances of infection. Wiping front to back is important. You might also look at the sugar in her diet (if any). Yeast feeds on sugar, and a high-sugar or high-refined-carb diet is known to increase yeast infections. You could also start her on a probiotic supplement. The probiotics not only help her digestions work better, they also help keep the yeast under control. We use Jarro brand Jarro-dophilus. They come in a capsule that you can break apart and sprinkle the powder on baby's food. We started our girls on one capsule a day when they started solid foods. My toddler has really noticed a difference in her bowel movements when she doesn't have her "tummy vitamin."

Best of luck,

my oldest dd had this right after she was born, it was caused by antibiotics. If your dd has had antibiotics lately, that's the culprit. Just keep an eye on her everytime she has them so you can catch it early.
S. mom 2 4; 1yr, 8 yr, 13 yr & 16 yr

1 / 3