When Does Breastmilk Usually Begin Being Produced?

I'm only 6 months pregnant and I'm already starting to leak a clearish-type breastmilk. I wouldn't care except that I'm wondering if it might mean that I'm going to deliver sooner than I'm supposed to. What is the "normal" time you're supposed to get your milk in?

Breastmilk usually doesn't come in until 3-5 days after delivering. what you have is colostrum. i started seeing mine at 5 months. my baby was born 2 weeks early. colostrum is very normal, it doesn't mean you'll go into early labor.

Hi Candace!

I leaked colostrum 8 weeks into my first pregnancy and only 4 days into my 2nd one. ;) That's what gave me the clue that I was pregnant! haha!

It's very normal!

the clear liquid leaking out is Colostrum. I started mine around the same time too. Everyone is different as to when they actually produce breast milk. The nurses at the hospital said some people can go as long as 4-5 days AFTER you deliver your child to actually produce real milk. That is why alot of mothers give up on breast feeding because the colostrum just doesn't seem to be enough for the baby. But, keep in mind... it is. They assured me that colostrum has enough nutrients in it to sustain a newborn until the real milk comes in.

Hope that helps some and congradulations!!

mother of a 5 month old

Breast milk can start being produced any time during the pregnancy. It has no bearing on when your labor will begin. I actually started producing milk at 4mos and continued throughout the pregnancy. I delivered only 2 days before my due date. Invest in some washable, reusable cloth breast pads. They will last you longer. Good luck, and don't worry!

Hello- your body is starting to produce colostrum, which is what is very important to baby before your milk comes in. So- it is a good thing.
"The Colostrum is a high-protein, low-fat substance. It is very good and helps get things moving in baby (bowels) and has great anitbodies to protect baby.
You can leak is as early as 24-27 weeks." (Kasier babynote book)

Best of luck with the twins- I'm gettting ready for my 4th due in 4 weeks.
Have a blast and enjoy te blessings from above-
A.
(mom of 3 girls and little brother coming very very soon)

Some women begin leaking from their breast around 20 weeks into their pregnancy or so, that does not mean you are going to go into labor early. Also, if you do not leak it does not mean you won't get breastmilk in. First you will have colostrum (which is what you are leaking right now) and then within a week after giving birth your milk will "come-in." Good luck, I hope you have healthy, easy, and full-term pregnancy!

I started the clear stuff leaking at 6-7 months pregnant as well but didn't deliver early. It's just your body getting ready.

Hello what you are having is the what i call pre milk its normal your breast milk will come in 2 to 3 days after the baby is born.Good luck with the twins.T.

Hi Candace!

It's very normal!

1 / 3