What to Put in Plastic Easter Egg for 1 Year Old

My granny loves to do an egg hunt for Easter. She uses the plastic eggs and even though she's in the hospital right now (we're hoping she is out in time) we'd still like to carry on her tradition. This would be our son's first Easter as well. We are going to put "piggy food" which is coins in to a few of them. Don't worry he doesn't put them in his mouth, he's very well "trained" as to where piggy food goes and he'll walk right over and put it in his bank. We don't want candy and most of the toys we see are for 3+. Any ideas?

OK great! A lot of you gave me some great ideas. I think I will go with his favorite snack items and maybe a special toy if i can find one that is for under 3 that will fit in her eggs. She has the smaller variety already and I just don't want to make more clutter! I've been spending the last 3 weeks UNcluttering her house! The things that don't fit in these eggs, but that are great ideas I will use for maybe a summer time treasure hunt when he is a bit older. Thank you again! :)

Hi! I'm late in responding and don't have time to read all the posts so please forgive me if I repeat something. One of my favorite things is to buy fun children's socks (Batman or Spiderman for boys; florals for girls) and put them in eggs (one sock per egg). It's fun when the kids actually find a pair! Also, the mini bubbles from the dollar store fit nicely in the larger eggs. (Bubbles make great bathtime fun!) Happy Easter!

stickers! :) Seems like ALL toys say 3 plus. If you trust him with coins you can probably trust him supervised with some of those toys too. Maybe you can find some molded plastic animals that are all one piece and not too big for the eggs? We like the Schleich brand here and some of the baby ones might fit. Have fun!

OH and DO NOT put in the small bouncy balls- HUGE choking hazard that is impossible to dislodge. Larger ones that don't fit in his mouth should be fine.

My mom made rice crispie treats inside the eggs. Lined them with a bit of plastic wrap first and crammed it in. She even used the glutten free brand we buy!
We all shared them so it wasn't just the boys who ate them and we spaced them out over several days. The other favorite thing my mom hides is those individual boxes of cereal or goldfish and things.

My daughter at that age didnt care if there was anything inside. She just enjoyed toddling around to find them. However, stickers are always good. You can also put whatever snacks he has (cheerios, puffs....) I think we put teddy grahams and that was a big hit. I hope granny is out in time. These events are more for the adults than the kids at this age. Have fun and happy hunting.

I think I'm going to leave them empty for my 19 mo old and just let enjoy the hunt and collecting eggs in her basket. But maybe goldfish crackers or cheerios would be good inside (just one or two in each egg).

If you can't figure out what to put, put nothing! He is 1 year old...mommy and daddy encouraging him to go find bright stuff in the yard is going to be plenty of excitement all on its own :) Last year was DD's first Easter, we put some bath toys in her Easter basket and the learning singing doggy (none of which had anything to do with Easter, but she sure didn't care in the least)

Hope that helps you ease your mind. Just go with it!

we put goldfish and little dinosaurs and cars - get the big eggs for the cars and dinos

How great that you are continuing your granny's tradition. Hope she is able to join you!

Here are some thoughts for "egg surprises":

stickers
tattoos
Cheerios (for a sweet treat, Fruity Cheerios)
Cotton balls
Sand
Raisins (for a sweet treat, yogurt or chocolate raisins)
confetti

Kids this age are very tactile and he'll really have no clue about what's going on - he'll just have fun opening the eggs and discovered the different textures and/or tastes. Of course he could still choke on some of these items, but since you'll be watching him closely anyway because of the coins, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Good luck and have fun!

1 / 3