What to Call Grandpa's Wife?

I have a 6 months old and while we live in a different state as the rest of our family, we show him pictures of them and name them. My husband and I are unsure how to refer to my dad's wife. They've been married about a year and she is a wonderful woman. However, I feel odd about calling her grandma. I feel it's a special name that we use for mine and my husband's mothers. Am I being ridiculous, or have other mom's out there had the same problem? I could use some adivce on this one! Thanks!

First, I give a HUGE thank you to everyone who offered words of wisdom and advise to me on this. We refer to my dad's new wife as Grandma for our son. I had been unsure, because I didn't want to offend my mom. She is "Grammy T." My sister had her baby recently and my mom refered to my stepmom as grandma and said she was fine if we wanted to have our kids call her grandma, as she would be a big part of their lives too. This reassured my sister and I both and everything is great! Thank you all again!

If I were you I would probably call her Nana Sue, Grammy Sue, Grams Sue, Oma Sue....something like that. Have you asked her? Maybe she just wants to be Sue.

we call my mothers husbands by their names- grandpa is reserved for my actual parents. My mom is on her 5th husband so to be honest we never get really attached. Maybe you should ask her what she would prefer- there are different forms of grandma and if she is close with the family maybe you could up with some kind of nick name for her. -

Edit- I counted wrong 6th husband

She deserves a grandma name. Maybe you would feel more comfortable asking HER what name she wants the grandkids to call her.

My husband is not the father of my 3 oldest children, but my 2 grandkids call him Grandpa. In their world, it's just the norm to have multiple sets of grandparents.

My youngest son, on the other hand, has no grandparents at all left and sometimes feels sad about that. I wish there were a step grandparent for him to call grandma.

Why don't you ask her? Is there a limit on the number of grandmas a child should have?

What does she want to be called?
Why don't you ask her?
She might have some great ideas.

Edit- I counted wrong 6th husband

My stepmom and stepdad, and my husbands stepdad are all grandma and grandpas.

Did you ask her?

in my world, family is what you make it. you can be my family without blood. i have no problem calling my mils new husband grampa, because that is the role he plays, not his birth rite. He has been a dear addition to our family for the last 10 years. For me, a title is given to the one that performs the duties.

I sort of feel like this is punishing her in a way just because she married into the family and isn't "blood". It doesn't make her any less of a grandma to your kids than your and your husbands moms do. I think his wife is filling the spot of "grandma" so she should be called that if not some kind of special nickname. My son called my mom "mimi" until he could clearly say "grammi". And both my kids called their great grandma "great" for short, so cute, she loved it. So maybe you can find a nickname or nana or something that will work for her. Good luck!

So your dad has married a "wonderful woman" who has been in the family longer than your baby has and you don't want to let her be a grandma? your being ridiculous. Your children and all children need all the love they can get. Why would you deny this woman the privilege of being called grandma just because she is your dads second wife? You will find that children will add on an extra name as they get older. it will be grandma Mary and grandpa bob or grandma Jane and grandpa john etc. the more grandparents there are the more names get added. Don't make this a battle in your relationship with your dad. and whether you mean it to hurt her or not it will.

1 / 3