Names for Grandma and Grandpa

I have just found out that my oldest daughter is going to have a baby, so I will be a grandmother. I am only 39. Any ideas on other names besides Grandma and Grandpa, or memaw and pawpaw?

Thanks so much to everyones suggestions. I have decided to wait until he or she is here and able to come up with whatever endearement they choose.

My husband and I went round and round about this...

we settled on some names but when the baby got here my name changed. Seeing him and talking to him was and is so sweet so when I would say 'Nana is going to get you... :o)' it just didn't sound right to me so I changed it to 'Grammy' that name fits me better and I like the way it sounds too... My husband goes by Papa.
So I guess what I am saying is it might be good to wait and see what name feels right to you... :o)

Good luck and Congrats!!!

We have grands and great-grands still alive as well as step-grands so we had to get creative :)

We have:
Nana - my mom
Papa - my dad
Grammy - DH mom
Don - DH stepdad's name, he never got a nickname
Boom Boom - DH dad, shoots skeet and nephew nicknamed him
Gigi - DH stepmom
NanyNany - great grandma
Grandma - great grandma
Grandpa - great grandpa
MiniMa - my step grandma

My mother-in-law is Nona (spanish). I used to babysit for a couple that had an Oma and Opa (they were German and "O" means grand). My parents are "Gramma" and "Grampa". I also know people who use Mimi, Memama, Ga-ga and Gran.

My mom became a grandma a month after she turned 40 (by the way, 10 years later and she's going to have 6 grandkids by the end of this year!) and she goes by Nanny. My dad is called Papaw. I have a friend, though, who's son calls his grandparents G-Ma and G-Pa. Keep in mind that, no matter what you pick, the baby might not be able to say it exactly and it could end up being something entirely different that sticks. My grandmother wanted to be called Gammy, but my older brother couldn't say it. He said Namny and that's what we all called her :)

My mom and dad are granny and papa (not paw paw but pop-uh). My MIL is Granna (Gran-uh). I also think Gran is cute!

I vote for GiGi or MiMi for Grandma and PaPa for Grandpa!

My kids call my mom "G-ma". It was the easiest thing to say when my oldest nephew was little so he called her that and it stuck.

They call my dad "P-paw".

My kids call my mom Nanna and my dad Paw Paw. My inlaws are grandma and Grandpa but my youngest calls them meemaw and peepaw.

My nephews and neice call my mom Mimi (me-me).

My inlaws are called Mimi and Pop.

My stepson calls my MIL Nannu (like from Mork and Mindy) and my FIL Poppo. I'm sure that that's what my son will call them when he is able to say it! Congrats on the new grandbaby!

My kids call their grandparents nana and papa.

1 / 3