What to Call a Grandmother

This sounds very silly but my husband and I are having a very hard time coming up with a name for our daughter to call my mother-in-law. The problem is she doesn't want to be called: nana, grandma, grandmother, granny, nanny, mawmaw. What do your children call their grandmothers?

Thank you all for the suggestions. My husband and I are going to compose a list of the suggested names and let her review it. Hopefully, she will decide because we are tired of trying to please her. Thanks again and have a blessed day!

How about pain in the azz...ok sorry I just don't get why these womean don't want to be called grandma or the other names associated with it. UGH. LOL, how about Mema, my sister is a young grandma and that's what her grandson calls her. My mother-in-law likes Nena. Or how about Mimi?

Good luck to you...

We have Nana and Papa. Mema and Grampy G (for his first name, Gregg). My older daughter (from a different father) also has just plain Gram and Gramp and Mor-Mor for Grandma (Danish, I think). For Great Grandparents I always used G.G. (Great Grandma). Friends I know use Mimi and Oma. Let her choose something that is easy for the child to say and that makes her feel comfortable.

I know you have plenty of advice but just thought i would add that my mother didnt want to be called any of that and she is called "GiGi" she claims it is because she is a great grandparnt..great as in fabulous etc...lol

Good luck to you...

My sons call my mother Grammie and my mother in law mom mom. But I would suggest that since the woman insists on being so darn picky, you ask her what she wants to be called and if she doesn't have any good suggestions, have your children call her Mrs. Whatever her last name is. That ought to let her know that she's being ridiculous. You may also try asking her why she doesn't like any of the traditional grandmother names, it may be that she's feeling insecure about getting older in which case I would suggest to her that maybe she should deal with that first.

It is not a silly question because we are having the same problem. My mother is re-married and I really don't know what to call him. Right now my son calls them Medaw and peepa, so cute and I guess he is too young to say it correct. So no suggestions from me but wanted you to know someone else was in the same boat. Good Luck D., mother of a 32 month old son, Dylan

Gma...simple cool...no explanation needed really

mine and my hubbie's moms are just grandma, but my grandma is called GG for great grandma. she's too young to be called that! maybe she could call her G or gaga or gigi. those are all i can think of. hope this helps.

Seems to me the grandmother needs to come up w/ an alternative if she doesn't like any of those names.

That said, my 2 yo calls my husband's mother "Olivia Grandma." She came up w/ that one on her own and "Olivia Grandma" didn't complain!

Hi L., When my oldest son was learning to talk he couldn't say "grandma" so he called her "Emma". Now all 11 of her grandchildren call her that, and she loves it. She didn't want to be called those other names either. She felt they sounded too old. So "Emma" worked out great for us. - C. J.

L.,

My grandmother felt she was too young to be called any of those grandma names as well. She wanted us to call her Mom-Mom. It's close to Mom so young ones can say it and sometimes sounds like Mama-a younger reference than grandma.

I hope this helps!
S. P.

1 / 3